1. Do 3 things every day to get the word out about your business.
Getting the word out about your business is a continuous process. If you get a huge PR hit, great; if you run an ad campaign and get good results, also great. But great PR hits are rare (and some great PR hits don’t produce any real results) and few small business owners have tons of marketing dollars to spend on advertising. But there are endless things you can do every single day to spread the word about your business, such as
- Participate in discussions on relevant blogs, related to your business or with readers who would benefit from your business. Make sure that any comments you leave are genuine comments and are not just there to pitch your site or product. This will get you nowhere fast.
- Personally connect with a blogger or journalist who writes about your industry or related products. Don’t pitch your business – just introduce yourself and say something (a) nice and (b) relevant about their blog or writing. This is a great way to get on their radar.
- Compile a list of useful data that is related to your business and make it available on your site or blog. You can then mention this useful list – and it should be useful! – to any bloggers or journalists you contact.
2. Make one tough phone call (or send one tough email) per day.