Balancing work and life is a personal struggle for all of us. Figuring out how to manage the two worlds is the key to a happy work life and a happy family life. Here are a few tips that could help you with your own struggle to balance work and home.
1. Schedule your work time and stick with that schedule. We can all get carried away with a project and it ends up interfering with our home life. Set aside time for work and stick to your schedule.
2. Schedule down time and family time as well. Just as you would schedule a work meeting, set aside time for your family and put it on the agenda.
3. Have a daily plan for what you want to do each day. Starting the day with a to-do list of hundreds is impractical and ineffective. Make a list of the most important tasks to focus on each day and set about accomplishing those things first.
4. Ask for help and support. Whether this is moral support or assistance on a difficult work or home project, never be afraid to ask a friend or colleague for help.
5. Don’t be afraid to say no. Be clear to your boss and colleagues about your boundaries. Maintaining your strict schedule is important to you and your co-workers will respect that.
6. Take time to breath. Rushed work only leads to stress and sloppy results. Focus on the most important tasks and allow yourself to slow down and pay more attention to your actions. This will make life and work much more enjoyable for you –and make you more pleasant to be around!
7. Shut off your phone and unplug the computer. You don’t need to be connected to work 24/7. When you step out of the office or away from the computer remove the distraction by pulling the plug.
8. When you are done with work for the day have fun. This is your time to relax and enjoy your family and friends. Let loose!
9. Give your hobbies and interests a priority over work. Don’t let work get in the way of the things you love to do – reading, exercise, enjoying a good movie. Make time for the things that make you happy and then focus on work.
10. Stay healthy and eat the right foods. Don’t let the stress of work affect what you eat. Having a healthy diet will make you more efficient, help you stay calm throughout the day, and assist in your recovery time after a long day.