Group Discussions

Suggestions for finding family-friendly employers?

Subscribe
  • I met with a friend this morning - she and her husband are trying to get pregnant and she is also looking for a new job. She is a fairly senior project management professional with about 15 yeras of experience, so the jobs she is interviewing for are demanding. We were talking about how she might go about figuring out whether companies she is talking to are family friendly - she is asking the questions to the people she is interviewing, but is doubting whether they would tell her anything she might not want to hear.

Any ideas?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 11th May 2007
  • I have some suggestions about this on my website, Flexible Workforce Solutions.

The idea is to ask questions about the company culture at appropriate times in the interview that will give you insight into what family-friendly benefits and flexible scheduling options a company will consider without bringing up any bias against working moms. Especially for moms in high powered jobs, a lot of this bias exists.

I wish your friend good luck in her job search and her attempts to start a family.

Amy

Flexible Workforce Solutions

http://flexibleworkforce.blogspot.com
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Amy Beekley on 17th May 2007
  • In addition to asking questions of those she interviews with, I suggest asking for an opportunity to talk with future peers. Often, they can provide valuable insight on what the real company culture is. Here are some other tips:

Take a look around the office, does she see any indicators of parents such as proudly displayed young artwork?

Ask about success- does the company know how to measure productivity? Or does the person who "puts in the hours" succeed?

What is a typical day like? If everyone works from 7am-7pm, it is not going to be family friendly.

Check out the leadership in the company. Are all higher ranking executives men? Lack of female leadership is a good indicator that the company may not be friendly to working moms.

I hope this helps. My book about this topic was just released- would make a great gift for your friend! (The Parent's Guide to Family Friendly Work, Career Press).

Good luck!

Lori K. Long

http://www.familiyfriendlywork.net
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lori K. Long on 1st July 2007
  • I she PMP certified? If so (or even if not) i would suggest PMI.org as they are a fairly tight network (at least the chapters in DC are!) of Project Management folks (and companies) who can help her weed through the rhetoric verse the companies that are serious about flexibility!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 30th September 2007
  • http://www.workingmother.com/web?service=direct/1/ ViewArticlePage/dlinkFullArticle&sp=S601&sp=94

That's Working Mother Magazine's top 10. You can also go and check out their top picks for the industry of your choice. It's an interesting read. Even if you can't work for a suggested company, it may give some ideas for the kinds questions you should ask regarding benefits.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by heels on 1st October 2007
  • Nell over at:

http://www.telecommutinganswerlady.com/

She has some amazing resources! Highly recommended...

Jenni
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jenni Hunt on 12th November 2007
  • I just started with a company called Ameriplan where you can work from home, get FREE dental, vision, chiropractic and prescription benefits, and you don't have to cold call anyone or ask friends and neighbors to help grow your business.

Check out my website at: freedomathometeam.com/alewis

**I'm just excited I've found a legitimate work-at-home opportunity where I can make money and stay at home with my kids at the same time. This company has been around for 18 years!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Amber Lewis on 19th September 2008

Add a Reply