Group Discussions

What type of business do you have?

Subscribe
  • I thought a fun way to start some discussion in our group would be to talk about the businesses we're all running and/or starting.

Since mine is easy I'll go first: Work It, Mom! is my first full-time entrepreneurial baby. (My husband and I had previously started a student publishing company, but we didn't quit our day jobs to do it, so this is my first foray into full-time entrepreneurship.)
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 21st June 2007
  • I quit my decentsalarywthfullbenefits job to launch http://www.aswearemagazine.com , which I'm aiming to develop into my publishing empire!

BTW Nataly - I love this website!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Trudi Evans on 21st June 2007
  • I quit my job as a bookseller after teaching my first piano student in November 2001. Since then, I have taught piano, voice, organ, and guitar to school children (and a few adults) in my neighborhood through a music store. I also play piano for a Lutheran church.

In December 2006, my husband and I incorporated our business, and he developed the website. Now I have students pouring toward me. I have a waiting list, and my schedule is completely full! And it's the summertime (s-l-o-w time in the industry). We're going to have to hire a few teachers before autumn falls around.

I especially love that between the two of us, my husband and I work less than 40 hours per week. And our children are constantly under parental supervision.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mom Sleppy on 25th June 2007
  • I am a medical editor/writer. It's actually hard to find a word for what I do. Sometimes I am introduced as "Our editor" or "our writer." Or a "professional" editor. Or a writing consultant. A grant writer.

Anyway, I work with primarily academic medical faculty to improve their manuscripts for peer-reviewed journals. I also write grants. I also do a lot of editing and reduce a lot of word counts.

I call it a small business because even though I am a contractor, I have several repeat clients. Well, all of them, actually. So, even though it's freelance work, I don't really think of myself as a freelancer. And I established an LLC, too.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on 26th June 2007
  • I run NICU101.com, which is a company that provides products and information for families of premature and sick newborns. I was working on my MD when both of our girls were born - both premature. I did graduate, but have never actually practiced medicine because I got swept up in taking care of my kids and running with this new adventure.

Our goal is to become the "webMD" of the preemie/NICU baby community.

-Kristie
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kristie McNealy on 31st July 2007
  • Last year I began a communications agency with two partners. We specialize in marketing, PR and event planning.

Right now we're really at a a make-or-break point and are hoping to make it!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Danielle Walsmith on 2nd August 2007
  • Hi everyone

I'm a Virtual Assistant based in Australia and I started my business 34 weeks pregnant with my third child. After her rocky start to life it became even more important to my husband and I that I am able to stay at home with our children. Only problem with this is my boredom. I'm not cut out to be a SAHM only.

I have now been in business for myself for 15 months and I look forward to getting to know you all better.

Kylie
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kylie Short on 5th August 2007
  • Hi,

I run an online store with my husband called Boys to Men Gifts which specializes in unique gifts for the male gender.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by BusyMom on 16th August 2007
  • Hi,

My name is Lisa and I am fairly new to WorkIt, Mom. I became a SAHM 6 months ago when my program was relocated and I wasn't willing to commute the distance (at the time my son was 6 months old). Since it is difficult for a family of 6 to survive on one salary, I began to look for WAH jobs...I didn't find many legitimate opportunities. So I created a website to support moms, with a focus on being a resource of legitimate WAH opportunities. It has become my baby and I am very proud at how far it's progressed in such a short time. So this is what I do: http://www.dirtydiapersyndrome.com/ (BTW, I probably would have had more time for my family if I had kept my job and commuted but I love what I'm doing!)
    Reported. Posted by Lisa R.(dirtydiapersyndrome) on 21st August 2007
  • Hi All!

My name is Heidi and I just signed on with WorkIt, Mom. I am a work at home mom with a company called www.workathomeunited.com/heidip and so far its been awesome! They are partnered with a wellness company and I am so thrilled about that.

My husband works fulltime outside the home and I am just trying to help out our income as I stay at home with my 11 month old, and be here when my 5 year old comes home from kindergarden.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Heidi0206 on 22nd August 2007

Add a Reply