Group Discussions

What type of business do you have?

Subscribe
  • I thought a fun way to start some discussion in our group would be to talk about the businesses we're all running and/or starting.

Since mine is easy I'll go first: Work It, Mom! is my first full-time entrepreneurial baby. (My husband and I had previously started a student publishing company, but we didn't quit our day jobs to do it, so this is my first foray into full-time entrepreneurship.)
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 21st June 2007
  • I quit my decentsalarywthfullbenefits job to launch http://www.aswearemagazine.com , which I'm aiming to develop into my publishing empire!

BTW Nataly - I love this website!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Trudi Evans on 21st June 2007
  • I quit my job as a bookseller after teaching my first piano student in November 2001. Since then, I have taught piano, voice, organ, and guitar to school children (and a few adults) in my neighborhood through a music store. I also play piano for a Lutheran church.

In December 2006, my husband and I incorporated our business, and he developed the website. Now I have students pouring toward me. I have a waiting list, and my schedule is completely full! And it's the summertime (s-l-o-w time in the industry). We're going to have to hire a few teachers before autumn falls around.

I especially love that between the two of us, my husband and I work less than 40 hours per week. And our children are constantly under parental supervision.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mom Sleppy on 25th June 2007
  • I am a medical editor/writer. It's actually hard to find a word for what I do. Sometimes I am introduced as "Our editor" or "our writer." Or a "professional" editor. Or a writing consultant. A grant writer.

Anyway, I work with primarily academic medical faculty to improve their manuscripts for peer-reviewed journals. I also write grants. I also do a lot of editing and reduce a lot of word counts.

I call it a small business because even though I am a contractor, I have several repeat clients. Well, all of them, actually. So, even though it's freelance work, I don't really think of myself as a freelancer. And I established an LLC, too.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on 26th June 2007
  • I run NICU101.com, which is a company that provides products and information for families of premature and sick newborns. I was working on my MD when both of our girls were born - both premature. I did graduate, but have never actually practiced medicine because I got swept up in taking care of my kids and running with this new adventure.

Our goal is to become the "webMD" of the preemie/NICU baby community.

-Kristie
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kristie McNealy on 31st July 2007
  • Last year I began a communications agency with two partners. We specialize in marketing, PR and event planning.

Right now we're really at a a make-or-break point and are hoping to make it!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Danielle Walsmith on 2nd August 2007
  • Hi everyone

I'm a Virtual Assistant based in Australia and I started my business 34 weeks pregnant with my third child. After her rocky start to life it became even more important to my husband and I that I am able to stay at home with our children. Only problem with this is my boredom. I'm not cut out to be a SAHM only.

I have now been in business for myself for 15 months and I look forward to getting to know you all better.

Kylie
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kylie Short on 5th August 2007
  • Hi,

I run an online store with my husband called Boys to Men Gifts which specializes in unique gifts for the male gender.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by BusyMom on Thursday
  • Hi,

My name is Lisa and I am fairly new to WorkIt, Mom. I became a SAHM 6 months ago when my program was relocated and I wasn't willing to commute the distance (at the time my son was 6 months old). Since it is difficult for a family of 6 to survive on one salary, I began to look for WAH jobs...I didn't find many legitimate opportunities. So I created a website to support moms, with a focus on being a resource of legitimate WAH opportunities. It has become my baby and I am very proud at how far it's progressed in such a short time. So this is what I do: http://www.dirtydiapersyndrome.com/ (BTW, I probably would have had more time for my family if I had kept my job and commuted but I love what I'm doing!)
    Reported. Posted by Lisa R.(dirtydiapersyndrome) on 21st August 2007
  • Hi All!

My name is Heidi and I just signed on with WorkIt, Mom. I am a work at home mom with a company called www.workathomeunited.com/heidip and so far its been awesome! They are partnered with a wellness company and I am so thrilled about that.

My husband works fulltime outside the home and I am just trying to help out our income as I stay at home with my 11 month old, and be here when my 5 year old comes home from kindergarden.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Heidi0206 on 22nd August 2007

Add a Reply