Group Discussions

Poll: Do you have a housekeeper?

Subscribe
  • Do you have a housekeeper?

Talk about this week's poll!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Work It, Mom! Team on 9th July 2007
  • For years, I did all the cleaning myself. Then my husband started helping (lucky, i know!) But after our daughter was born it just got too much with work, trying to find time for her, taking care of things at home - I broke down and we got a cleaning person for 1x month. We do clean in between, but it's tremendously helpful to have someone come and do a major clean regularly. I find that the extra money is worth the few extra hours we get to spend as a family.

We recently moved and the other day I saw a cleaning company go to the house next door. I remembered what Gwen wrote about in her blog (sharing the same service provider with your neighbor to reduce the overall cost) and I'm happy to report that it worked - we got $10 off for using the same company.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 10th July 2007
  • I wish I had a cleaning person, even if it was someone to come in once a month to properly scrub all of the floors. Unfortunately it is a luxury I can't afford right now. I have a feeling that once I am able to afford it there won't be any children bouncing around the house and getting the floors dirty anymore.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by CursingMama on 10th July 2007

• Now that my daughter has started daycare and is not home with a nanny all day, the house is MUCH cleaner so we need help less and less!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 10th July 2007
  • We don't have a housekeeper, but I've considered it. I like Nataly's idea of having someone once a month for major cleaning. My hang-up is that I just don't know if I want a stranger in my house. Do you give them a key and let them clean while your at work?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Melody on 11th July 2007
  • My children are home all day, every day this summer; if ever I wanted a cleaning service, this would be the time. It doesn't seem to matter what I do, what I say, or the kinds of polite notes I leave for them each day, they find a way to mess up the whole house. I'm thinking very strongly of assigning chores that aren't paid. It would be a little like having a cleaning service;a really bad but really inexpensive cleaning service.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by CursingMama on 11th July 2007
  • Our home is not large and both of us work in it all day long. Right now, we manage the cleaning and housework on our own. My husband has always taken a full share of the responsibility for the house and sometimes we just suck it up and live with dirt a little longer than we might like.

My son is 4 1/2 and he does chores and helps on his end. He is responsible for picking up all his toys at the end of the day, every day. He helps take down the garbage, recycling and compost weekly. He sorts and helps put the laundry in the machines. He dusts weekly for us. Sounds like a lot, but each job is about 10 minutes and he feels really good about being involved and we can clean and be together at the same time, so it's not time away from the family.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Trudi Evans on 11th July 2007
  • We have a cleaning woman once a week. But I should also say that we live in the rural midwest, so she doesn't charge us very much- in fact, I feel guilty about how little we pay her and always try to pad her checks.

I think she misunderstood when we told her that my husband was gone for six weeks, though, because I haven't seen her for two, and managed to break my vacuum belt and not have time to fix it.

I need to get a hold of her fast!

Having her come once a week keeps all of us sane. But I would settle for whatever I could get.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on 13th July 2007
  • Yep. I have a housekeeper 2x/week. We have twin 1 year olds, 2 large dogs, I work full time and so does my husband. We entertain often on weekends, and my husband is also a germophobe and a neat-freak. This was the only way to keep the doghair in check *and* avoid the arguments.

We always say, "Thank goodness for the housekeeper." She is a critical component of our marital (and my personal) sanity.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by spacegeek on 13th July 2007
  • Yeah - Momma and Dada! We have our little routine down pat these days. Dada and I split the household chores in the evenings after dinner while Elliott helps. He's getting to be such a good helper, and he loves it, thank goodness!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by elliottsmomma on Sunday

Add a Reply