Group Discussions

What's your favorite workout?

Subscribe
  • Ok, I love that Jen started this group!

And I know that using the word favorite next to workout might not make sense for everyone, but let's try it. I a self-admitted gym addict (it's my only me time), and I've often gotten really bored with the same old routine. I'd love some new ideas so please share.

I'll start: About a year ago I tried my first spinning class. It looked scary as hell from outside the class - and the first few times I crawled out of it with my legs shaking, telling myself that there is NO way I am going back. But slowly, I got into it and now I find it really energizing. (I get up at 5:40am once a week to take a class with my favorite instructor

What about you?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 16th August 2007
  • I love love LOVE my elliptical! I recently bought a weight machine which I haven't used too much yet (nor have I grown to love it) but I'm hopeful that overtime I will be crazy in love with it too.

My other favorite workout is to get outside on my bike (no kids) and go for a two hour ride. Unfortunately time doesn't allow me to do this very often.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by KathyHowe on 16th August 2007
  • This may not be what everyone would consider a "workout," but mine is walking the dog. We live in a hilly neighborhood and get out twice a day, but I really like when we get the chance to go trail hiking or walk at the beach (now there's a California perk!)
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Florinda Pendley Vasquez on 16th August 2007
  • I have run on and off my entire life. But after two years of running, I just started to find it too jarring this summer. Also? I haven't lost the weight I wanted to lose by starting up again.

I talked to my doctor and she said that when you run, you are often too hungry to cut calories. Also? You have to be well-fed to have the energy for a five-mile run (my minimum was 3.5 per day and you have to eat to do that too). So, I was maintaining weight when I need to lose.

So, I have started doing yoga. It is great! I can't believe what a great workout it is. And it is also great for making me be in the moment. My mind can't really wander when I have to focus on breathing to hold a pose.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on 16th August 2007
  • I have a motto, I only run when chased. And even then I'll only run so far before I stop for a break. I'm a pretty fast walker though, so I try to do that for cardio; although lately the treadmill & I haven't been spending a lot of time together.

But my favorite workout by far is yoga. I'm a total novice and only hope to be semi-stretchy some day in the future, but this is a workout I can commit myself to for the long term. Like Jen, I'm amazed at how physical it can really be and what it's doing for my body is surpassed by what its also doing for my mind.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by CursingMama on 16th August 2007
  • And I totally blame CursingMama for getting me into yoga...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on 16th August 2007
  • I heart going to the gym. It's just a matter of trying to find the time to go.

But when I can't go thru the entire ordeal of packing my bag to hit the gym, I go running...without my iPod.

It totally clears my head. You hear nothing but ultimately your own thoughts...and of course the whirl of the passing cars.

But running is such a great workout. You feel exhilarated by the end!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by amaras_mom on 18th August 2007
  • Running is a great workout. I am taking some time away from it though until I lose more weight, and then I am hoping it won't be so hard on me. But summer running? Ugh. I would rather run one of those December 5Ks you're talking about!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on 19th August 2007
  • I'm a Leslie Sansone, In Home Walking addict.

I'm in the process of buying an elliptical, and from Kathy's comments about hers, I hope I fall in love with mine too. Because frankly, I'm going to have to fall in love with something to stay motivated.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by The Tattooed Mommie on 20th September 2007
  • When I go to the gym I do the elliptical - I know, I know, I should mix it up, but I like it. I try to spin a few days a week, but other than that, I'm on it.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 20th September 2007

Add a Reply