Group Discussions

Water water everywhere...

Subscribe
  • As one of my weight loss lifestyle changes, I have made a determined effort to make sure I am drinking enough water.

It was always a bit baffling to me as to how to know I was drinking enough. Then my sister-in-law gave me a great tip: She measures out the water she needs for the day into a container and then makes sure she drinks the whole amount before she goes to bed.

Simple, but I hadn't thought of it before. I got two 2-quart containers (8 8oz cups of water), one for me and one for my husband (the kids have smaller ones we keep refilling), and told him to fill it up every morning and drink ALL of it. I have been doing the same, and it's my constant companion.

What do you do to boost your water intake?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on 16th August 2007
  • I add frozen grapes, wylers single togo packs or lemon/lime to mine
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kim Begnaud on 16th August 2007
  • I fill up a 1-quart container once in the morning, that I drink before noon, and once in the afternoon. After a while you get to crave it and you will notice that you feel crappy when you don't get it.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by KatieK on 16th August 2007
  • Katie, I have noticed that already. I find that (gasp!) I want water in the morning before I even want my coffee.

Kim, I love the frozen grapes idea! Great idea!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on 16th August 2007
  • I think you've seen one of my water bottles - I swear by them. 24oz refillable jobs that can be run through the dishwasher. As I have backed off from pop I have been able to naturally increase my water consumption and sometimes drink up to 4 bottles a day. It's wild - but if I don't get enough water I feel it.

Every once in a while I'll use green tea packets (lipton I think) to add some flavor
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by CursingMama on 16th August 2007
  • Oy. I wish I could get to a point of really wanting it. Seriously.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Keri on 19th August 2007
  • CursingMama, after I saw yours, we went and got some more to supplement the ones we had and we don't buy bottled water anymore. We refill all the time as a family.

Okay. I refill all the time for everybody LOL.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on 19th August 2007
  • ONe of the best tips I ever got (and it was recent) was to drink a litre of water first thing in the morning. It literally flushes out the fatigue and everything else and keeps on keel all day. Of course, I pee all morning long, but that's ok too. Every time I pee, I do 10 squats after and by the end of the day, I've racked up 100 squats (yay firm thighs!).

This also means that by the time I'm dressed, I really only need to drink 1 more litre of water for the day, but usually, I drink more than that. So I'm guaranteed to get enough water every day and keep everything humming along.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Trudi Evans on 20th August 2007
  • Trudi, that is just genius. Just sheer genius. All of it!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on 20th August 2007
  • Good suggestions.

I just got 2 plastic waterbottles at an alumni party, and I have been keeping one with me to drink from and one in the fridge all day. When I empty one I switch. Then I throw them in the dishwasher once a day. I figure if I get through 4 of those I have done well.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by amanda on 29th August 2007

Add a Reply