Group Discussions

The gym

Subscribe
  • In early July we joined a health club and I started lifting weights and doing about an hour of aerobic work. I haven't been dieting because it sucks to diet in summer (heaviest workload of the year, plus kid at home :P). I haven't lost any weight since I started-- in fact I've gained 2 pounds-- but I am looking noticeably better, and things deginitely jiggle less.

I've joined weightlifting.com's social site. Not because I want to be a body builder, but because I figure if I hang out with the hard core folks, it will help me keep my eye on the prize. I need to lose 40 pounds, but I want to do it by building muscle and getting very fit. I think it would be cool to get extremely fit, just because I don't think I can. I mean, I know I can, it's just that I've bailed out so many times since putting on this weight. Hanging out with overly fit people will keep my attention.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by KatieK on 16th August 2007
  • First of all, you are funny

Second, I really believe in lifting weights - it helps tone you up, build muscle, which burns more calories. You're probably gaining muscle - which is why the weight gain - but it's the best kind.

I had an instructor a while back who taught me to lift heavier weights but very slowly and not as many reps - it's brutal while you do it, but takes less time and I think, works.

Keep it up!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 16th August 2007
  • I have heard (and been told) that lifting weights will help you lose weight (and burn calories) faster than any cardio form of exercise.

Now, I just have to figure out what those kids did with my weights...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on 16th August 2007
  • Jen - so true! There are even yoga workouts that incorporate weights!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by CursingMama on 16th August 2007
  • Dang! This is good news about weight lifting! I just bought a weight machine for my home!

YAAY ME!

Now I just have to use it.

Flag as inappropriate Posted by KathyHowe on 16th August 2007
  • Nataly, I do try to lift as slowly as I can. Back in high school I had a boyfriend who later became a professional weight lifter (but I am guessing not too successful as nothing comes up when I Google him), who explained it to me.

The weirdest thing is that with all of the ab work, I can feel a solid wall forming around my middle.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by KatieK on 17th August 2007
  • Katie,

Is that ab work with weights? Or just floor, core exercises? Or both?

My middle is definitely my most problematic area. I am an apple shape-- which is also a precursor to type II Diabetes, which I am trying to avoid.

Good for you, Zoofy!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on 17th August 2007
  • Weights are absolutely the way to go with a consistent amount of cardio exercise.

As a fitness instructor & personal trainer I have seen great results with this time & time again. But my firsthand experience comes from growing up an overweight adolescent & teen eventually shedding over 70lbs and competing in fitness competitions...so it can be done!!! Women are often afraid that they will 'bulk up' with weights or start to look manyly, but the truth is that the only way that would happen is if you were also taking hormones/steroids. So keep up the great weight training work ladies!!!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jacq on 20th August 2007

Add a Reply