Group Discussions

Hungry all the time

Subscribe
  • Around July 4, I decided, at my doctor's advice, to start counting calories. I try to keep my calories under 2000 a day, somewhere between 1500-1700. As my doctor told me, the equation is still calories in versus calories out.

I used to run. I ran for two years. Didn't lose weight. My doctor finally told me it is because running is incompatible with calorie reduction: You have to have calories to run. And running makes you hungrier.

So, I switched to yoga and walking. And I love it!

I don't starve myself. Here is a semi-typical day of eating for me:

1) Three egg whites and one cup of chopped vegetables cooked into an omelette (no cheese, sigh), with salsa on top.

2) Spinach salad (with dressing, low fat preferably), with other veggies and either hard-boiled egg or grilled chicken.

3) Fish for dinner with salad, or steamed veggies, edamame.

Snacks: Edamame, smart pop popcorn, fruit, a handful of almonds (and I don't love them, so I don't go nuts over the almonds LOL).

I also drink 2 quarts of water a day.

The thing is? I am still hungry nearly all the time. Maybe not a gnawing hunger, but I am never full. I am dealing with it because I want to meet my goals and I know that as my body changes, this will change too.

I also know that I am approaching this in a healthy way and not starving my body.

But has anybody else noticed that to meet your goals, you have to deal with a certain sense of hunger?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on 17th August 2007
  • Oh, p.s.-- since I have started this, I have lost 10 pounds.
  • Jen - I don't see much in the way of fiber or full feeling foods. Adding that in will probably help a lot.

Every single weekday (except for vacations) I have a serving of steel cut oats with fruit for breakfast. About once a week I make a large batch of the oatmeal and portion it out into reusable containers - then when I pack my lunch I grab a container of oatmeal & put in about a 1/4 cup of frozen fruit.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by CursingMama on 17th August 2007
  • Also - if I can ask...why no dairy?
  • My advice - break those three meals into six smaller meals.

I eat about 5 or six times a day because I have the same nearly constant feeling of hunger. And if I ever get to true HUNGER I end up feeling very sick.

So for example - I have breakfast twice a day. At home it is yogurt, a smoothie or fruit. When I get to the office a bagel with peanut butter.

I eat lunch around 11am. Around 2pm I have a breakfast bar or two.

Around 3pm the chocolate craving is catered to with a candy bar or monster cookie.

Dinner is around 6pm and there is always an after dinner (usually right before bed) I have a snack of some sort (usually popcorn but not any kind that is labeled "smart". LOL).
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by KathyHowe on 17th August 2007
  • CursingMama, I do have dairy-- I have soy creamer in my coffee, and I love milk (though I don't drink it every day like I *should*!. But I have also developed a slight lactose intolerance, and sometimes cheese does a total number on me. Also, cheese=more fat and calories than I want to have right now.

I had cheese in an omelette recently, and it nearly killed me LOL.

The fiber is a great idea.

I like your idea too, Kathy-- I think you can tolerate more calories in a day than I can though, but I can work something out!
  • I'm big into the small meals too - only mine aren't as frequent as KathyHowe's

I have my oatmeal when I first get to the office

around 11 ish I have a cup of yogurt

around 2ish I have a salad, piece of cheese (lowfat string) & fruit

I eat dinner around 6 I have dinner

And somewhere between dinner & bed I'll have a small snack - like a pudding cup, funsize candy bar or yummy caribou chewey granola bar.

I tend to eat great food up until that dessert.....
  • I eat 6 meals aday.........my 11 and 2 are protein shakes banana flav. I put it in the blender with Ice and make it a shake. Sometimes I add fresh fruit to it. I also have a protein pudding that is banana flav that my dad ordered me that I add diff flavors to I sprinkle sugar free jello in it to give it a better taste.

nite snack is usually rice cakes with a tablespoon cream cheese (carmel flav rice cakes)

My dad had me do this 1200 cal diet last year but I was so sick of brown rice I could have died and yes I lost weight..............but at 4'9" and 145 i need to loose more. I used to lift weights and walk 10 miles aday I had foot surgery and was in a cast when I fell on the ice 2 yrs ago and did some damage to my back so if I lift I pay for it for days. As for walking. my foot ended up with arthritis and 10 miles adady, kickboxing and belly danicing I can not do any more.

I can handle yoga as long as I don't hold to long on my left foot. And no time to run into town to the pool.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kim Begnaud on 17th August 2007

Add a Reply