Group Discussions

Simple recipes?

Subscribe
  • Does anyone have a favorite recipe that they like for a quick-ish/simple weekday dinner? I love the crockpot, but we don't eat meat, so that limits things somewhat. Ideas?

Thanks!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by elliottsmomma on 27th August 2007
  • Hi elliotsmomm,

Here are a couple fast and easy ones we use.

I feed a family of 4 so this is what I do

) potatoes sliced

)onions sliced

)carrotts sliced

place is a foil pouch with a little olive oil, onion powder, a tiny bit of salt, pepper

Bake in the oven until tender...................sometimes if I am out of time I place it in the microwave at lunch.

I also put a fresh turkey burger in with it also. My family loves it.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kim Begnaud on 30th August 2007
  • My mom has always catered so we have always been in the kitchen. Now she has a special renial diet that I have to be very careful as to what she has.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kim Begnaud on 30th August 2007
  • Have you checked out Melissa's blog Ordering Disorder URL- she posts some really nice and quick recipes there. (I made her black bean salsa and it was great!)
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 30th August 2007
  • Here is a dish my kids love. I make it with chicken, but have also made it with firm tofu, or vegetarian (probably also tofu or soy-based) "chicken" strips. But you could also use beans if you like.

1) Sautee some olive oil and minced garlic (I use jarred) in a deep frying pan.

2) Add your tofu, or "chicken" strips or beans (or chicken breast, if you eat meat)

3) Sprinkle LIBERALLY with cajun seasoning.

4) Start boiling water for BOW TIE PASTA in a separate pot.

5) When the chicken is browned (or after a few minutes for vegetarian), add one bag of frozen, mixed veggies and sautee.

6) Sprinkle LIBERALLY with cajun seasoning

7) Add pasta sauce of your choice (I use something from a jar) to the veggie/chicken/tofu mix

8) Add two cups of plain yogurt (I used to use 1 whole cup of whipping cream, which is tasty, but the plain yogurt makes this meal a lot less guilty, and the kids can't tell the difference because of the cajun seasoning) to your spagetti sauce, veggie, chicken mixture and thin with about half the pasta jar of water. Cook until this bubbles and starts to reduce a bit.

9) Add your bowtie pasta to boiling water and cook til al dente

10) combine your pasta sauce concoction with your pasta and serve (even better the next day).

This really is very quick-- the thing that takes the longest is chopping chicken or tofu, and that doesn't take very long. It's less than half hour from start to finish-- you can really do everything in the time it takes the pot of water to boil and then cook your pasta. And my kids ASK for this (three boys, ages 13, 11, 9).
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on 31st August 2007
  • Stir-fry is quick. We often get the frozen stirfry vegetables and throw over some rice, VOILA! We also eat alot of pasta...can't get any quicker than that!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lisa R.(dirtydiapersyndrome) on 31st August 2007
  • long post.... but 2 recipees!

I am all about super quick (like 5 minutes or so!) we eat a lot of pasta as well, below are a couple of non pasta dishes:

One of my veggie favorites:

Thai seasoned firm tofu (packaged from the store already seasoned!) sliced in thin strips

Heat a pan with some sort of oil/spray and toss in the tofu to warm/brown a little

Nuke a package of microwave rice (there is even a no salt, brown rice version I found once, but usually it’s the 90second uncle bens)

Nuke a package of frozen stir fry veggies

Toss both in with the tofu (which is cooking while the others are microwaving)

Throw in some soy sauce to taste (I use low sodium, use whatever flavor/type you like!)

If you are feeling a very adventurous, scramble an egg or two! (or egg beaters, or other fake eggs)

EAT!!!

Stolen and modified from the Barefoot Contessa on www.foodtv.com:

Turn on your broiler and leave the rack where it is… it’s fine.

Bag of cleaned/cut ‘fresh’ green beans (they are in a bag, how fresh can they really be? I don’t ask!)

Poke holes in the bag and microwave for 3 minutes on high

Cut baby potatoes into 1/4s (fresh, canned, whatever, I actually bought fresh but also usually have no salt added canned on hand as well!)

Microwave in a bowl with a tiny bit of water for 4-5 minutes (almost done but not quite, softER, but not mushy)

Throw both items on a cookie sheet as they come out of the microwave

Toss both with olive oil, salt, pepper (I went for OOH AAH by putting the green beans in the center and potatoes on the edge, how fancy!)

Top with FRESH GRATED parmesan cheese, not the green can unless you get the one with the hunk of cheese attached to it!

Put the now loaded cookie sheet in the oven for… 4 minutes (check at 2, decide if done enough for you)

Potatoes should start browning and green beans should have a little color, slightly wilted look.

So amazingly good that even my husband (ew green beans!) LOVED them!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 7th September 2007
  • I made one last night:

Take chicken breasts and roll them in flour mixed with bread crumbs, then in egg, then again in first mixture. Put on baking sheet sprayed with non-stick spray, into the oven, at 375, for about 10 mins, until the tops start to get golden. Take out and spread some mayo on the top, covering with a thin layer. Put back in for another 10 mins or so, until cooked through.

They were really good, juicy, and a nice take on boring chicken breasts - a recipe from our daughter's first nanny
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 7th September 2007
  • ok this recipe is so good and easy you could probably use any type of fish or even meat if you wanted.

Blackened Halibut1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed

4 6-ounce halibut fillets

2 tablespoons olive oil

4 teaspoons butter

Preheat oven to 400°F. Mix first 7 ingredients in small bowl. Place fillets on baking sheet. Brush on both sides with 1 tablespoon oil. Sprinkle top of each with seasoning.

Heat heavy large skillet (preferably cast-iron) over high heat until very hot. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil; swirl to coat. Place fillets, seasoned side down, in skillet. Cook until very brown on bottom, 1 minute. Return fillets, browned side up, to baking sheet. Place in oven; bake until just opaque in center, about 8 minutes. Top each with 1 teaspoon butter.

Makes 4 servings.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by on 7th September 2007
  • Hands down, this is one of my family's favorite vegetarian week-night dinners. I usually serve it with a crunchy green salad.

* 2 tablespoons olive oil

* 1 onion, minced

* 2 teaspoons ground cumin

* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

* 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste (optional)

* 1 teaspoon salt

* 3/4 cup lentils

* 2 cups vegetable broth or water

* 1 can diced tomatoes (14-1/2 oz can)

* 1/3 cup dried currants or raisins or chopped dried apricots

* crumbled feta or grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

* 1 cup long-grain brown rice

1. Heat oil in wide skillet and add onion, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne and salt. Cook over medium-high heat until onions are soft, about 10 minutes.

2. Add lentils and broth or water and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.

3. While lentils are simmering, boil rice separately for 45 minutes in 2-1/2 cups of water.

4. Remove the cover and add tomatoes and currants to lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and cover again. Cook for 10 minutes more, or until lentils are tender.

Serve over lentils over rice, topped with feta or Parmesan (optional).
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by UWSParent on 8th September 2007

Add a Reply