Group Discussions

I need a vehicle

• I love to snack on foods like salsa, hummus, & guacamole but it is difficult to find low fat/calorie items to use as a vehicle for them. Any suggestions?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by heidi on 29th August 2007
  • I make my own tortilla chips from tortillas. You just cut them into 8-12 pie-shaped slices, spread out on a baking sheet, and bake about 10-15 minutes at 350. My kids even love them! I figure it's better than something deep-fried. I know people who make their own tortillas too, but I am not one of them, LOL.

Also, for hummus, sometimes I eat it with carrots or celery.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on 29th August 2007
  • You could also use carrots and green peppers as dippers!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by amanda on 31st August 2007
  • i buy the low fat/ low carb pits and cut them up in to triangles and bake in over for a bit and then use them! They are great
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by on 1st September 2007
  • I was thinking later of both pitas and green peppers!

And also, truth be told, a spoon, LOL.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on 1st September 2007
  • celery stalks!!! or broccoli, or carrots, or really any sturdy veggie works well!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 7th September 2007
  • I like cucumbers and hummus..mmm! Makes me hungry just typing it!

I've also made a yummy salad with mixed baby greens or the herb mix by Newmans Own and I first put a dollop of hummus on the bottom of the bowl, then I add the greens, carrots, cucumbers, a few pine nuts, and any other veggies I have on hand. I add my favorite dressing (very little since I have the hummus to give it flavor too) and voila...I have a really yummy salad that is a meal and healthy too! I sometimes need more protein, so I'll slice up some smoked turkey or even leftover chicken and toss it in there. Even my kids love it!
  • That sounds freaking awesome Christine!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on Friday

Add a Reply