Group Discussions

What do you make in your crock pot?

Subscribe
  • A crock pot is the one appliance I don't already have -- I've always been on the fence about getting one, because I can't think of what to make in it that's not a stew. Ok, not completly true -- i think my pulled pork would probably be a lot easier to make in a crock pot, and Alton Brown of Food TV's "Good Eats" (*swoon*) has a crock-pot steel-cut Irish oatmeal recipe that's got me drooling and waiting for a cold, wintry day. But that's all I've got, people.

What do you make in your crock pot? And how do you make it?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 12th September 2007
  • I bought the William Sonoma crockpot cookbook and every single recipe I've made has been wonderful. Our favorite is Moroccan Lamb:

4 1lb lamb shoulder chops

green pitted olives

some flour

one yellow onion

beef broth

cumin, paprika, salt, pepper

juice from one lemon

drench shoulder chops in some flour and fry up in some heated olive oil 3 mins each side - put in crock pot

in remaining oil, fry up some chopped up onion, until tender

then add some paprika and cumin, stir around until fragrant

then deglaze (I learned this word through this recipe!) the pan with 2 cups of beef broth (i imagine you can use any broth, but they say beef), add in juice from one lemon, bring it to a boil, and then pour this over the lamb chops in the crock pot

cover, cook for 4 hours on high, 7-8 on low (I do high)

1 hour before it's ready put in the olives

when ready, serve on top of cous cous and put some basil on top

has NEVER failed!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 12th September 2007
  • Nataly, that sounds so good! We're visiting my in-laws next week, and my mother-in-law just bought a crock pot, so I'm going to have to take over her kitchen and try this recipe!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 12th September 2007
  • I'm so glad you started this thread Lylah. I received a crockpot, over a year ago, for my wedding and still haven't gotten it out of the box.

Does anyone have a good recipe for home-made macaroni and cheese in a crock pot?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 13th September 2007
  • Lylah, I ALWAYS do my pulled pork in the CP when we are having or going to a large party. We've got two pots so I'll get them both going. Yum and soooo easy. The smell drives the poor dog insane though! And I can't tell you terrific that oatmeal recipe is. My husband loves it and goes to bed so happy when he knows he's going to be having it for breakfast. I throw in a lot of chopped dried fruits from Trader Joe's, too.

I posted a chili recipe over on "what's for dinner" and it's a stand-by in this house. You can always throw in turkey or beef but I like it w/out. If we're having people over, again, I pull out both CPs for that recipe.

I'd love to find some more easy recipes like these. So many of them involve too many steps to get started. Blah.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mandy Nelson - Dandysound on 13th September 2007
  • Now I'm definitely leaning towards getting a crock pot!

Mandy, I really can't wait to try that oatmeal recipe now. And I want to try your chili recipe, too!

Mamajama, I haven't heard of a mac n cheese crock pot recipe, but I'll keep my eyes open and let you know if I find one...

Any other recipes to share?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 13th September 2007
  • I do pulled pork, chili, stews.

My husbands favorite is pot roast. I let the meat cook all day in the crock pot with about 2 inches of water, some garlic salt and pepper. Depending on the timing, I either add the veggies mid day, or add veggies and transfer the crock part into the oven about 45 mins before dinner.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kristie McNealy on 17th October 2007
  • my cousins wife does stuffed pasta in the crock pot. at first i thought WEIRD! but it's actually pretty good, just fill the pot with frozen stuffed shells/ravili/etc. and sauce and it's ready when you are!

i also have a little crock pot that i use for bean and cheese dip to have with nachos - keeps it yummy warm and creamy!!! (just refried beans, chease, and salsa all mixed/melted)

i swear i saw a mac and cheese recipee on Foodnetwork but i couldnt find it on the site (quick search though - so maybe?) i think it was Paula Dean. Anyway, i would think you could take any recipee and just dump it in the crock pot and cook it forever LOL
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 18th October 2007
  • Crock Pot Hungarian Goulash

2 pounds round steak, cut into 1/2 inch cubes.

1 C chopped onion

1 clove garlic,minced

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1 1/2 tsp paprika

1/4 tsp thyme, crushed

1 bay leaf

1 141/2 oz can tomatoes

1 c sour cream

Directions

Put steak cubes, garlic, onion in Crock Pot. Add all remaining ingredients except sour cream. Stir well. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours or high 4-5 hours. Add sour cream 30 minutes before serving and stir throughly.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kristie McNealy on 20th October 2007
  • Any more crock pot recipes out there?? I'm finding now that #3 is here, I have time to cook around noon hour because everyone is quiet and happy. They are nightmarish around the dinner hour though, so I'd like a few more recipes that I can pop in the crockpot around noon, and have ready around 5. . .
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kristie McNealy on 9th November 2007

Add a Reply