Group Discussions

Emotional about Baby #2

Subscribe
  • I recently found out that I am pregnant with our second child. I am due in April. I am a teacher and I will take off the rest of the school year plus have the summer off. The baby will roughly be 4 months when I have to go back to work. I remember how difficult it was for me to go back to work after my first (who will be 2 shortly after this baby is born). I'm also feeling overwhelmed in general...will I be able to handle 2 children? Will it be as exhausting as the first time around? How will my toddler cope with the addition?

Any advice or tips on how to manage are welcome!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Melissa on 29th September 2007
  • Hi Melissa,

I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you simply because i haven't experienced what you are going through... however, I'm expecting my first child and I have similar fears and concerns... I'm not planning on taking a maternity leave (unless you count couple of weeks off) and I don't know how my life will change after having my first child.... I'm excited and scared at the same time... I would love to hear how others managed to go through these type of changes/transitions/adjustments......
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Victoria on 30th September 2007
  • Melissa, congratulations on your pregnancy! I'm only planning on about 8 weeks maternity leave (I took 12 with baby #1), and already it's killing me to think of going back to work. I think it's something we think about/deal with/worry about every day of our lives, readjusting a little bit each day.

I'm crossing all my fingers that I'll be able to cut back to part-time so that's helping me a bit, but I know that isn't a option for everyone.

I'm wondering, too, about how to cope with 2 kids (yikes)!! I've heard that yes, it IS just as exhausting, but somehow we just manage, like we did with the first baby. Still doesn't seem possible, though, looking at it from this angle!

One thing I realized recently: You know you always wonder "how will I love this next baby as much as I love the first?" I know it's a silly question, but I figured something out: There is one additional person to shower the new baby with love, and that is the First child! Baby starts out "ahead" in the "who loves me" department.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by el-e-e on 1st October 2007
  • I never thought about it that way--this baby already has THREE immediate family members to take care of him/her. Makes me feel a bit better!

I know that we will manage when it happens and the new baby is actually here...in the meantime though my head is full of questions! Good thing I have a toddler to keep me busy
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Melissa on 1st October 2007
  • Oh, my. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the fact that there's going to be one baby in the house next January! Best of luck to you. If all else fails, just look around and realize that zillions of people have survived with more than one child, and rest assured that you will, too!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lorna Doone Brewer on 3rd October 2007
  • I just had my second child three weeks ago. I have a six-year-old, and before the baby came, I couldn't imagine loving her as much as I love him. Well, that has all changed! I love her so much, and am already dreading going back to work. I took twelve weeks off, and will go back December 17th for three days, then will be off until January 2nd. I'd love to quit teaching, and am exploring other options for next year, but I know that I have to finish out this school year. I only took six weeks with my son, and hated to go back to work, but enjoyed being around grown-ups again once I did go back.

So far, it hasn't been too bad to have two kids. Of course, my son is self-sufficient, and goes to school all day, so I am sure that helps. I can't imagine having a toddler and infant, and am glad that we waited this long to have another child.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by alanaransley on 18th October 2007

Add a Reply