Group Discussions

How do you choose baby furniture?

Subscribe
  • What are the important things to consider when picking out a crib? dresser? changing table? Do you really need a separate changing table? Any particular stores you would recommend for this stuff?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Victoria on 4th October 2007
  • We live in the Philadelphia area and there are a lot of "baby superstores" around. We went with my in laws to pick out furniture and although they said it would take 8-10 weeks it took much longer. I would order soon if you want the furniture to arrive before the baby does. The in laws were great b/c they picked up the tab!

When we selected our furniture we basically went with what would fit in the baby's room. We got a crib which converts to a toddler bed and later a twin bed; a dresser with 4 drawers for under the window; and a larger dresser which has a space for a changing pad but can later convert into a shelf area for books or knick knacks. It also has a big drawer for diapers and wipes but I'm sure toys or sweaters/thicker clothes can go there when one day we no longer need diapers.

I ended up getting a cheap glider from Target and a cheap bookshelf from IKEA later on.

BTW, our furniture is "Baby's Dream" which they advertise in a lot of baby/parenting magazines. It was nicer than most of the stuff they carry at chain stores like Babies R' Us.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Melissa on 9th October 2007

Add a Reply