Group Discussions

Do you have an idea for your novel yet?

Subscribe
  • I have an idea for my novel, but no title yet. I am not sure yet how much I should reveal about my plot here. It's not that I am worried about anybody stealing it-- it's just that I don't know the etiquette!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on Thursday
  • I have an idea in my head and I've been sketching an outline in my mind too. If i hold off and not start writing it until November 1 (yay!! procrastination!) then I could do NaNoWriMo for once.

I don't really want to divulge my idea but I realize it could be written a little in the style of Michael Chrichton (though I don't have the stamina for that much research for a fiction piece) or I could take it and explore the social implications of the idea.

I think I might aim for the latter.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Trudi Evans on Thursday
  • I woke up in the middle of the night with a TERRIFIC idea (well it seemed terrific at 3 am). So I wrote it down in my bedside notebook and went back to sleep rather than lazily mumbling, I'll remember it in the morning (as I usually do).

The next afternoon when I finally reread the great idea, deciphering my night time rambling in horrid handwriting was a challenge and the idea is a silly thing.

So it is back to my usual and typical sitting down for morning writing practice, blasting away at whatever comes up for several days of November until and idea sticks and going with it until I get through something.

Does that answer your question? LOL!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Keri on Friday
  • Why yes, Keri, yes it does! And I am laughing at your post. That was awesome.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on Friday
  • I'm going to cheat a little & use an idea thats already been explored & set aside for when I have "time". I think it's a great idea so we shall see if I can really develop the characters into real people.

I also totally have my first sentence.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by CursingMama on Friday
  • Is your first sentence, "Edward likes himself, and only himself." ?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on Friday
  • No - it has something to do with wood ticks -

Can you tell I battled those little things all summer?

Will yours have a little something to do with the mouse blood dream?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by CursingMama on 8th October 2007
  • I have no idea what to do. I have not written any fiction (besides my blog!) since I was in high school. I do not read fiction often since I spend so much time reading history theses...and then tend to buy history books for reading on vacation (busman's holiday)...

I have penty of seed ideas, but no idea on how to proceed. :P
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by KatieK on 9th October 2007
  • I'm home recovering from hospitalization for an intestinal problem (all solved). I downloaded a freeware brainstorming software called Brainstorm Lite for Mac (at http://mac.sofotex.com, which also has PC freeware and shareware). So I sat down this afternoon and did some brainstorming and actually made quite a bit of progress! I will continue to plan.

It has to do with contagious diseases in the Ottoman Empire in the mid-19th century, specifically with an outbreak of cholera that devastated the capital city of Istanbul in about a week's time.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by KatieK on 9th October 2007
  • ooh i totally forgot - is that bad? maybe that's my idea? 'procrastination' would be kinda funny to publish a blank book with that as the title... but i digress!

ideas are fun, i get stopped because i overthink and veto my idea before i have even written it down - anyone else?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 9th October 2007

Add a Reply