Group Discussions

Have you ever done NaNoWriMo before? How did you find time to write?

• I did it successfully a few years ago. Wow, I think it was three years ago now! I wrote in my office at work. Hmmm... no longer work there, either. I also went to a conference and had several days to myself in a hotel room, and I took full advantage of the time and got tons of work done at the conference.

I don't really have a plan for how I will find time to write in November. I know that I am not a morning person, though, so this may have to be a late night venture.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on 5th October 2007
  • Nope - but my sanity is already in question so why not really go crazy.

When my husband wants to know why I did this I'm totally blaming Jen ;)
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by CursingMama on 5th October 2007
  • Don't do that, CursingMama: He totally knows what I look like!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on 5th October 2007
  • Year before last. I just SAILED through it. I think I was done five days early. How did I manage that? Set myself a goal: 2,000 words by 9 a.m. Good thing I'm a morning person!! Could I do that again this year? I dont know. I have a lot more on these days, and I still start my day between 5 and 6. Urgh.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by MaryP on 5th October 2007
  • How is it that I did not know this about you, Mary P., and that I have never been invited to read said novel????

That is a lovely picture of you by the way. You look like you are having a wonderful time.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on 6th October 2007
  • ok i have never done this so i am completely clueless. once in college i wrote an outline. that's as far as i got! maybe i can dig that up and use that to start LOL
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on Tuesday
  • Kate, you are allowed to start with an outline before November.

I actually have a friend IRL who signed up to do this with me. We are going to get together on Wednesdays and write.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on Tuesday
  • I did it last year, and finished, which was a relief because I hadn't planned very well, and discovered halfway through that my story didn't have a middle - I think it helps if they do. Luckily, I had set myself a target of 2000 words a day so I did have the luxury of some time to get everything back on track.

I broke the writing up into two daily sessions, one in the morning and one in the evening, and it was quite do-able. The tricky thing was not going back to edit and rewrite, I had this urge to do that.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on Wednesday
  • I have diahrrea of the keyboard so I am not too worried about being able to meet a daily quota. It's writing fiction that will be a challenge. I took a short story writing class at university and did well, and wrote fiction constantly as a teen, but it's been more than twenty years...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by KatieK on Wednesday
  • KatieK: It's a lot like riding a bike. I think you will pick it up again extremely easily.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on Wednesday

Add a Reply