Group Discussions

Birth Trivia

Subscribe
  • Does anyone know why women started giving birth laying down on their backs?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by on Friday
  • I have a smart ass answer for you but other then that - i have no idea
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Victoria on Friday
  • haha

read this article and find out!!

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0838/is_n81 /ai_18856501/pg_1

and let me know your thoughts..
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by on Saturday
  • My guess is because it was more convenient for the doctors.
  • that's pretty much it. when we started having (male) doctors deliver babies (when birth became medicalized) they found it easier to see what was going on if the woman was laying on her back. It may be easier for the doc to see but it makes it MUCH harder for the baby and the woman to give birth. Not only does it make your opening narrower, but it works against gravity. Many complications in birth can be avoided by birthing in a more upright position. the article i posted explains the history as well as better positions to birth your baby in.

this is why having the fetal moniter on all the time as well as other interventions during labor make it virtually impossible to birth in other positions. it is why knowing ALL of the consequences in choosing interventions is important.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by on 22nd October 2007
  • Jenny, that article is very interesting. I hated being confined to the bed with the fetal monitor but after my water broke and they saw merconium in it they wanted to monitor the baby closely. They did let me squat for a bit in the bed after I my labor progressed though. I guess it all depends on the doctor and how insistent you are!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Melissa on 22nd October 2007

Add a Reply