Group Discussions

Best books on childbirth

Subscribe
  • So my friend, Jen, told me last night: If you are going to read one book on childbirth - you have to read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth! (http://www.amazon.com/Ina-Mays-Guide-Childbirth-G askin/dp/0553381156)

I am going to check it out..... Any other suggestions? Which book do you find most useful? What about great parenting books?

As you recommend books - i will add them to our Group's resource box. I already did that for Ina May's Guide to Childbirth! Let's help each other out ladies
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Victoria on 19th October 2007
  • Hi, I have listed my two fav. books that I really enjoyed. Here they are:

Homebirth - Shelia Kitzinger - don't let the name turn you off, even if you are not planning on a homebirth this is a great resource and connects you to how beautiful birth can be - no matter where you decide to birth.

Birthing Normally - Gayle Peterson - This is a great resource on how your body knows what to do. Even if you do not connect with everything she says or recommends, I took what I needed from here and found it helpful.

Many friends liked the Shelia Kitzinger series, she has many books.

Suzanne Arms - Immaculate Deception is popular amoung natural birthing women

I highly recommend visiting the site for Birth Connection. They have well researched information.

Ina May is another great resource, I would agree with your friend Jen

Melissa
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Melissa on 20th October 2007
  • My partner and I are taking classes in the Bradley Method for natural childbirth. Some of it is a bit too much for us with the anti-medical-establishment sentiment. Other parts of it, though, are just awesome. I happen to agree with a lot of the ideas on why medical interventions may not always be necessary, so it's great for me to be able to learn alternatives to the epidural and narcotics for pain management.

As an additional resource, we're reading Husband Coached Childbirth. Yeah, the title's outdated, but a lot of the information is really useful.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lorna Doone Brewer on 21st October 2007
  • i mentioned these in another posting but now that there's this proper section...

Vic already mentioned Ina May's

The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth- By Henci Goer

Birthing From Within-By Pam England

Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn- Penny Simkin, Janet Whalley, Ann Keppler
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by on Monday
  • A great basic Parenting book for technical things like caring for a newborn, when should you start feeding solids, fevers blah blah is

The Baby Book-Sears and Sears

it's written by a couple, both pediatricians i think (at least one is) and they also raised 8 kids
  • oops i didnt mean to put the crying face
  • This is great - thanks Ladies! I've added all of these books in our resource box for our group with links to Amazon! I hope everybody will find it useful! Thank you.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Victoria on Monday

Add a Reply