Group Discussions

Best CDs and DVDs for your newborn?

Subscribe
  • Can somebody recommend great CDs and DVDs that I should buy for my newborn child to get him used to music and sounds? I'll add the list to our resources tab! Thanks Ladies!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Victoria on Thursday
  • I got this CD, Lullaby: A collection, when my son was born and I ADORE it. It's simply gorgeous (Some of the melodies actually make me cry to this day!!) There are lullabies from Ireland, Spain, Sweden, as well as more contemporary "sleepytime" songs by Bobby McFerrin, the group Take 6... it's a really nice, wide variety.

The only other thing I can say is that I really did NOT like the Baby Einstein CDs. Yes, they're classical music, but not with classical instruments. More like synthesizers, which I didn't care for. Hope someone else can chime in!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by el-e-e on Friday
  • I think just about any kind of music is going to be great for introducing the little one to new sounds. I've heard that classical is great for stimulating their imaginations. On the other hand, I've got pretty big objections to letting babies watch t.v. I know, it's not the general opinion these days, but I think it's adding to our ADD/ADHD problems, not to mention a consumer mentality from the earliest ages.

*steps down from her soapbox*
  • We are huge on music in this house. It's on most of the day, everything from classical to jazz to Blues (of course) to hip hop. I don't do much to censure the lyrics either since my oldest ended up being born to The Black Eyed Peas and she's loved them since day 1. Every nap time and night time they get music, too. Here's a sampling of my fave wind down discs:

Mother Earth Lullabyes (there are TONS of these compilations out there so find the one you like)

Enya

The Curious George Movie soundtrack

Return of the Angels

Anything I can download for free on iTunes! There's lots of new age and classical there.

Jack Johnson tribute...it's very Hawaiian and all instrumental.

This is a partial list as our library is extensive but these are what's in constant rotation. I've got a lot of new age stuff the girls love, too, and I love to use that so I can hear it over the monitor if I'm going to bed at the same time (especially nap time and I can meditate to that!!).
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mandy Nelson - Dandysound on 1st November 2007
  • Great tips, thank you ladies! Let's see if we can get some more members to post their fav music!!!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Victoria on 1st November 2007

Add a Reply