Group Discussions

Memos from Dunder Mifflin, Scranton branch

Subscribe
  • Do you ever have days at the office that feel like they're days at The Office? Times when it feels like the cubicle walls of your Office Space are closing in on you? Days that seem to have more than their share of Dilbert moments?

Don't breach confidentiality, of course, but share your stories of crazy co-workers, meetings from hell, senseless procedures, and the other joys of the workplace here!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Florinda Pendley Vasquez on 16th November 2007
  • Once, while I was working in IT, I was helping out some copy editors as the new computer system was rolled out in their department. There was a glitch, I fixed it, and we all went back to work. But then their supervisor came up to me and told me to un-fix the glitch, because I hadn't followed protocol.

What was protocol?

I should have waited for the night editor to come in, reported the problem to him, and had him make the call to the person in IT who was supposed to fix it.

But, I pointed out, the person in IT who was supposed to fix it was me.

That doesn't matter, the supervisor said.

So, I was supposed to wait 2 hours until he got in, then tell him about the problem, have him call me, wait for the call to transfer to my pager, and then fix the problem? Instead of just fixing it right now? I asked.

Yes, he said. Then, he told me, "You were never good at following protocol, Lylah. That's why you won't go far in this business." So I let them wait for 2 hours while production slowly ground to a halt and we missed deadline in the name of "protocol."

This was a few years before "The Office," but I swear, it could have been scripted...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 16th November 2007
  • wow lylah! people like that i just dont understand! if protocol makes things worse - CHANGE THE PPROTOCOL!!

at a company i worked at many years ago... our CIO stated that we should hire anyone on the help desk who was just looking to use that position as a stepping stone into the organization and that that would not be tollerated!

we all kind of looked at each other like "what? did she really just say that?"

ooh so many stories! i think thats why we all relate to 'the office' so well! did you watch last night? i so wanted my IM tag line to read (but didint!) his quote at the end:

"you expect your company to screw you, but not your girlfriend"

hilarious!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 16th November 2007
  • We've DVR'd last night's episode, but haven't watched it yet...just let me guess who said that.

My husband and I have started saying to each other at least once during every episode, "Hey, our jobs could be worse. We could work for Michael Scott." (That's why I had to go for an Office reference when I started this thread!)

It's just mind-boggling when "protocol" becomes a substitute for "thinking," isn't it?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Florinda Pendley Vasquez on 16th November 2007
  • Dwight is two offices down from mine! I swear!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Crystal on 20th November 2007

Add a Reply