Group Discussions

Stimulating milk production.....

Subscribe
  • As most of you know, I already had my little baby - he is adorable and a lot of fun! Now we have a new list of worries and concerns! How do you stimulate milk production? Any good tips? I've gotten some great advice from a few great friends: beer, oatmeal, lots of water..... anything else?????
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Victoria on 5th December 2007
  • Hey Victoria. Congratulations!

I've been assured by books I've read and by my wonderful local lactation consultant that no food/drink/drug substances stimulate milk production. The one thing and only thing you need is frequent nursing. The action of the baby in nuzzling and suckling at the breast, plus the milk ducts emptying on a regular basis both work to tell the brain to make more milk. The absolute minimum is, I think every 1-2 hours or so for a newborn. If you nurse frequently, you're unlikely to have a problem.

Two sources I recommend:

1: The best book I've found is The Nursing Mother's Companion by Kathleen Huggins.

2: A fabulous website is

www.kellymom.com

Click here to see a list of other great and trustworthy links.

Finally, if you feel your milk supply is really inadequate, find out if there is a licensed lactation consultant in your area. You might even be able to get some advice over the phone.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Diane on 5th December 2007
  • So sorry to hear that you're worried! It's so hard when the baby is tiny and you worry about if they are eating too little! That's one thing that formula Moms don't have to worry about since they can see what is going into their babies. I have to second what Diane said. Nurse a lot! You may be surprised how much you actually are producing. I had to pump some after coming home from the hospital, and after my milk came in I was shocked by how much I was producing. If you are having a hard time getting your little one to nurse frequently (that was one of our issues) I'd suggest pumping in between feedings. It will build up your supply, and it may put your mind at ease. Also, there is this stuff called lactation tea...and it has the same stuff in it that pregnancy tea has...maybe that would work? Know that the first few weeks are the hardest. Hang in there!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 5th December 2007
  • common recommendations

beer- the darker the better

oatmeal

mothers milk herbal tea

fenugreek capsules

milk thistle

good luck
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by MsMD310 on 6th January 2008

Add a Reply