Group Discussions

What kind of seller are you? hobby? business? or marketing?

Subscribe
  • This came up in another thread - but, I think it deserves its own discussion...

I think there are 3 types of sellers (if you can think of others - feel free to bring them up!)

Hobby sellers
    - those who sell here and there... they might be interested in making a profit; however, they don't really depend on an income from anything they sell on eBay. They use it to get rid of their children's outgrown clothes or things they don't need anymore.

Business sellers - these sellers have built a business selling on eBay. They have a system in place and they use it to bring in the income they depend on.

Marketing sellers - These sellers have figured out how to USE eBay as a marketing tool to grow their (other) business. They list occasionally - but, the purpose is to drive traffic to their business sites.

I started out as a hobby seller - then once I realized the profit to be made on eBay, I quickly became a business seller. It didn't take long for me, however, to realize that it was much more lucrative (and flexible) for me to become a marketing seller.

Think about it - eBay is one of THE top visited sites in the world. They get a lot of traffic... wouldn't it be cool to harness some of that traffic and bring it to your business that isn't eBay related?

So, where do you fall - or want to fall?

Hobby seller, business seller or marketing seller?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jenni Hunt on 6th December 2007
  • I use to sell on Ebay but the fees are getting to me. So i did my own website store and spending my money on my own advertising check me out at

www.urbancitykids.com

and i can keep my money and use it for advertising because the ebay store does not advertise your website in a good way at all.

why let them eat up your profits you pay a fee to put item on and you pay a fee if someone buys it. I rather pay for advertising to drive traffic to my website

now i will do ebay for just auction stuff only but i rarely go there now

they might get a lot of traffic but look who took over since it started the big store chains if you look at the front page those are the ads you see ebay was for the people now it is not so much with the price of postage it not as good as it was five years ago.

with my own website i spend 50 dollars a month to host my site and about 100 in advertising a month with some of my profit money

Now this is amusing video i found on you tube about ebay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYokLWfqbaU

this is funny
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by tryintomakeit on 23rd December 2007
  • I would fall into the Hobby seller category on eBay. I use to sell on eBay pretty regularly but tryintomakeit is right eBay fee's were a bit stiff. Plus I didn't like their re-list policy. It's been a while since I've listed there.

To be honest.....the buyers would get on my nerves too. Working a full time job and trying to sell on eBay at night they'd email me an hour before the auction would end wanting to know to the penny how much shipping to their home address would be. More often then not the auction ended before I got home so I didn't get the email in time.

On the other hand I would LOVE to be able to figure out how I could grow my contact list for my home-based business useing eBay. The amount of hits eBay gets in one day is out of this world.

Check out my website:

http://WorkAtHome-AskMeHow.com
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mary Jane on 21st January 2008
  • Hi Mary Jane...

I just read your post (been absent for a while from WorkItMom while my kids all decided to share the flu with everyone in the family... joys of mommy-ing!)...

Anyhow, I wanted to comment on growing a contact list for your non-eBay business. First of all... eBay gives all sorts of opportunities to promote your business. Don't get me wrong, they do have strict policies about what you can say in a listing, etc... but, if you know the rules, you can find a way to work around them and use eBay's traffic to benefit your own business.

First of all...

In a listing, you aren't allowed to point to any off-site (non-eBay site) website... UNLESS you are showing more specs or information about the product you are selling. But, even so, I would just stay away from having any links on your auction listings that point outside of eBay. You CAN, however, point to your About Me page... I'll post an article later this week about how to use your About Me page... but, you can basically look at it as a website that eBay gives you. You can put links all over your auction listing that point to your About Me page - then, use your About Me page to drive traffic to your non-eBay business. There are rules to how you can do this... I recommend rather than pointing them to your site - having some sort of free report that you are willing to give away in exchange for an opt-in. Once they have opted in, you aren't bound by eBay's rules.

Secondly, have you heard of classified ads? I'm just about to test them out - but I have heard SO MANY positive things. eBay charges $9.95 for their classified ads and they really don't have many restrictions on them at all! You can have a phone number... website address... make the whole thing like a sales page! They are completely UNDER used - kinda like eBay's best little known secret. I'm going to be doing a big promo on one of my products in the next week or two and I'll be testing it out - I'll be sure to let you know how it goes, if you are interested.

Hope that gives you some ideas... There are many more ways to use eBay -- especially if you have an information product. You can automate the entire process with information because there is nothing to physically ship. You can get creative with this too - sell a report for $.99 or something... then, make your money on the back-end through follow-up and affiliate links. Food for thought

Jenni
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jenni Hunt on 5th February 2008
  • Quoting: danielle46
    why let them eat up your profits you pay a fee to put item on and you pay a fee if someone buys it. I rather pay for advertising to drive traffic to my website

I guess I look at it differently...

I think many people are turned off by the listing fees - but, what if you looked at those fees as advertising dollars. I think a lot of business owners who turn away from eBay are missing out because there are a LOT of customers looking to buy browsing around on eBay!

What if you listed something that was related to your business with the purpose to drive those customers/visitors to your non-eBay business? People come to eBay to buy... and you can get very targeted traffic for a very low fee. In fact, eBay just lowered their listing/insertion fees (they did raise their final value fees - but that is an entirely different discussion ;) Lower insertion fees lowers the risk for selling - but, it also means that if your goal for listing on eBay isn't to sell but to build a leads/customer list for your non-eBay business, it doesn't matter if the item never sells. Does that make sense?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jenni Hunt on 6th February 2008
  • I have to confess my worst mistake so far with advertising.

Filled with enthusiasm having just started my 1st home-based business my mind says how do you get the word out, advertise of course. But where and being a christian I say sunday church bulletin. Contact J. S. Paluch who publishes for most of the churches in my area. Worst mistake in my life......

The proverbial sayings "sucker" and "they saw me coming" comes to mind. Oh the ad coordinator was so nice, so helpful helping me design my ad and taking it from a one block ad to a four block ad. Oh and lets not forget the NO CANCEL CONTRACT. My mind was swimming I wanted a simple one block ad but she had other appointments and before I knew it I was in the parking lot shaking her hand. Yes I left my brains at home.

It's been one disaster after another with these folks. They will not negotiate with you, they will not even open the door to discussion.

So a word of caution to everyone....don't be stupid like me READ or walk away don't sign.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mary Jane on 8th February 2008
  • Jenni, thanks again for your suggestions to: ZTail, Mysilent Team and ActionTNT. Wow, so much info. Great stuff. When I first considered buying or selling on E-bay, I felt intimidated. I purchased Jim Griffith's "The Official Ebay Bible", which was very helpful.

I got really lucky. Barnes and Noble's web site sponsored a "University Class" on their web site where by you receved on-line classes free if you purchased their books. I took their "E-bay training" using Griffith's book. It was excellent and students were taught the ins/outs of buying and selling. I believe Barnes and Noble have discontinued the classes. The classes allowed you to go online (certain time of the day and eve) and read and participate in answering on-line. You could go back anytime during the week and work on your studies. Jim Griffith hosted the class. It was a big motivator for me.

Anyways......members take advantage of the wonderful information here and at other recommended sites.

Thanks again,

Sandy
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by sandyd on 22nd February 2008
  • Thanks everyone there are a lot of idea's out here. I haven't checked out the eBay angle yet. I have an account with them because I sold lots of things with them but your right I didn't use a lot of their tools. And quite frankly I wasn't aware of them and it's been a while.

The company I market for has certain policies as well so I'll have to check out those too.

But you guys are great....

Mary Jane
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mary Jane on 24th February 2008

Add a Reply