Group Discussions

Got lots of kids? How do you juggle?

Subscribe
  • Thanks, Scanjolina, for starting this group!

I was wondering how WIM members with several kids deal with their daily juggles. What's the hardest part of your day? What's the easiest? What tips and tricks do you have for making it easier to work and parent?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 10th December 2007
  • Hi-I have 4 boys 9, 7, 6, & 3. You have to have some kind of routine-especially on school days. Weekends always mess us up and we have a rough morning on Mondays-but Tues-Fri are smooth. The hardest part of the day during the week is after dinner, homework, baths, and going to bed. I also find it very hard to give individual time to each, if I am praising 1 child, you can be sure 1 of the others is looking at me with puppy dog eyes waiting for their praise. I love them all but sometimes I wish I could just take 1 day a week for each of them while the others are in school, so there would be no jealousy. But thats too many days to take off of work or school. So I guess my best advice would be take it day by day.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by shelly on 30th December 2007
  • The hardest time for me is right when school gets out. It goes from being a qiet time to loud and busy. Since I work from home, I get to be here when they get home. Or should I say have to be here when they get home. Getting everyone to settle down, get a snack, start their homework and do chores, while telling the neighbohood kids to quit knocking on my door makes me crazy. The older three don't get home until an hour later, so it just starts all over again then.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by austinmomof7 on Friday
  • I have 5 kids, 2 girls 11 and 8, 2 boys 4 and 2, and my nephew 8. Its an everyday struggle trying to teach and raise children while working. It seems I'm always saying I don't have time for anything and screaming at my pack. I've recently gone out to the web to see if I can find some support and advice on how to keep it together and get more organized. The hardest part of our day is the evening. I dont get home til about 7pm after picking everyone up. I start dinner (we don't eat until around 8ish), and than have the kids take a bath. while one is taking a bath I help the other with homework. So we rotate through bath and homework time. Our evening is just that-bath and homework-sad but true. Dinner is a competition for the kids to see who can eat the least in the most amount of time. Our mornings run pretty smooth. I always have the kids pick their clothes out the day before so all they need to do is get dressed, wash their face and eat-which suprisingly they are pretty good at. I think tomorrow I'll praise them on that. The only advice I can offer is to keep calm, try to have a routine, and things should work out. I think Ill take that advice.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by chache121 on 6th January 2011

Add a Reply