Group Discussions

I cannot concentrate!

Subscribe
  • Am I wasting my time trying to work at home with a 1 yr old underfoot? I mean, I am constantly interrupted and I end up resenting my little one when she needs me. I feel so awful all the time. I just wish there was an easier way to do this!!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Diane on 30th December 2007
  • Hang in there... it's incredibly frustrating, but it can be done, if only in fits and starts. If you're not too exhausted, try to save the more in-depth stuff for when she's asleep (does she nap? My 1 year old will, but only for about 30 minutes at a time... makes it very difficult to work from home, so I totally sympathise...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 30th December 2007
  • I know exactly what you're talking about. I end up doing most of my work at night for this very reason. Either when she is in bed, or when my husband can watch her. It is frustrating that I don't get to spend that time with my husband sometimes, but I just try and remember that someday I'll miss these days!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 30th December 2007
  • Thanks, guys. I feel like the last week or so has been extra tough. Maybe 'cause of all the holiday stuff that also takes up time. She does take a nap at lunch time. Like your 1 yr old, Lylah, she's never been the best napper, although lately I can expect around 1 hour. I guess I really don't want to work in the evenings - I get too tired!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Diane on 31st December 2007
  • My Work Life Is Practically Non Existent During Day Light Hours. Mainly Because My 11 Year Old Is At School During The Day And My Hubby Is At Work. Lili Doesn't Sleep For More Than 1/2 Hour To An Hour Herself (She's 10 Months Old) And Only About Once A Day. I Either Take That Time To Work Or Do Other Things Because It Takes Me As Long As She Naps Just To Fall Asleep And I Wake Up Worse Off. I Have Found That Getting On The Computer Even For 1/2 Hour At A Time Helps A Bit. Its Hard To Balance It Isn't It? I've Felt The Guilt To. But I Got A High Chair And Playpen Over Christmas. But It Still Doesn't Help When Those Little Faces Look Up At You And You Know They Want Your Attention!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Shanni Einer on 31st December 2007
  • I don't have to deal with a one year old all of everyday, but I absolutely understand how frustrating it is, the little guy I look after won't sleep more than 20 minutes at a time and he is so grumpy and clingy that the entire day becomes a write off. I have hardened up to him a little recently, not being mean, but I realised that he really does need that sleep so when he goes down in his cot I don't get him up for an hour at least, he is actually going back to sleep now instead of just screaming the house down, the other day he slept for 2 hours much to my surprise. I spent that whole time waiting for him to wake up and got nothing done, but next time it happens I will be ready. Stick with it eventually it all evens out
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kaybeejaenq on 18th January 2008

Add a Reply