Group Discussions

Do you have any flexibility at your job?

Subscribe
  • Is your job family-friendly or do you have to make up excuses for when you have to leave early to be with your kids?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 4th January 2008
  • A little of both... my current situation is pretty good. There's always room for improvement, but I've been in some spots where I was definitely penalized for having a family, and I'm grateful my situation has changed since then.

I worry though, sometimes, since I have so many kids that any legit reason I have for needing to leave early starts to sound like an excuse to slack off... I mean, how many times can you claim "my kid is sick" before it sounds unreal? Whatever that number is, you reach it pretty quickly when there are 5 kids at home and one of them brings a virus home from school!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 4th January 2008
  • Yes, because I work from home. However, even before I had my baby I've had a fair degree of flexibility in my jobs. Why? I've sacrificed other things like status, pay, benefits etc. That's not for everyone, but it's made me happiest to be in low-pressure work situations.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Diane on 4th January 2008
  • My job is sooooo family friendly. As a telecommuter they just want the work done. They really don't care what I do when so long as it is done. Nice to be able to stop and start when I need to so I can take care of all the things that enevitably come up when you have children.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by on 5th January 2008
  • my job is so/so family friendly... depends on what's going on! Generally if things are under control and i need to leave i can... or i can work from home one day a week and squeeze in some other stuff (like lunch with hubby!) but generally, it's your typical 9-6pm job LOL
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 14th January 2008
  • my job is very family friendly. i can stay home when i need to, leave early/come in late, and i've brought my boy into work with me for a few hours. when i left marketing to go into retail, i knew i wanted a job where i was not SO important that things would come screeching to a halt without me. now, as the manager, i have more responsibility and accountability, but i also don't have anyone micro-managing me. it also helps that my manager is a mother too... working for a man i think would be different.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by designmom on 15th January 2008
  • My job is pretty good about letting me work from home if my daughter is sick or if I need to make up time for doctor's appointments or what not. Now if they would just let me work from home full time that would be perfect but I've asked on a few separate occasions and the answer is always 'No'. I mainly think that is because my boss is old school and firmly believes if you aren't at the office then you aren't working. Maybe when she retires things will change.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Danielle on 18th January 2008
  • Not family-friendly at all.

I work from home, so when my kids were preschoolers, it was easy. I was there, they were there. But when they started school? They were at school; I was at home, and I was STUCK at home. Taking time off to be with my kids involves significant preparation. I don't think I have ever managed to do it with no notice. Ever.

The irony? I run a daycare...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by MaryP on 29th January 2008
  • Yes, my office is a nice place in that sense. Last week, my son was ill and they let me work from home. Towards the end of the week, they let me take time off. I can leave early if I have a genuine reason - a doctor's appointment or if my son isn't well or if I have to shop for a school event.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by A Lost Writer on 30th January 2008

Add a Reply