Group Discussions

What was your best bargain?

Subscribe
  • I love getting a bargain!

My most recent one was a $39.99 hand-crank emergency radio/power supply I bought from Buy.com, as a Christmas present for my husband. It was on sale online for $10 plus tax, and with free shipping. But if you were a first-time Google checkout user, Google would give you $10 toward your first purchase. So I signed up for Google, and got a $40 radio for just 50 cents, shipped...

What great deal made you happy recently?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 9th January 2008
  • OMG, that's hilariously fantastic. OK, now here's mine: our grocery store gives you so much back in gas from Sunoco for every $50 spent. Well we've kicked some serious buttinski in the past month what with hosting Thanksgiving and several meals and parties and families around the holidays. Plus I use the pharmacy there and the girls got sick (not good but it's helping to pay for gas)...anyway, as of tonight I've got $2.60 off PER GALLON. Tomorrow night I have to head to Boston for our date night then the tank will be very low so once I spend another $50+ for bread and milk and whatnot on Thursday I"ll be paying less than 40 cents per gallon to fill up the good 'ole Town & Country. Ahhh, I'll be framing that receipt, after I scan it in and post it in the frugal mom's section, of course! I'll let you know what I really spent once it happens.

I know I should be ashamed of my grocery bill but I've secretly replaced my shame with Folgers good to the last drop excitement for a bargain!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mandy Nelson - Dandysound on 9th January 2008
  • Mandy, what an insane bargain! Woooo-hoooo!

No shame needed if your grocery bills offset your gas expenses, I think...

If I were you, I'd be investing in a gross or so of those red plastic gas containers and filling 'em up for later...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 9th January 2008
  • Cheerios! Thank goodness for small victories. Had a coupon for $0.75 off PLUS the big boxes were buy one get one free. We go through a LOT of Cheerios and the little one won't go for generic so ... this was a real score!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by biomom on 9th January 2008
  • My TV. . .I got a 42 in Sharp Aquous LCD flat screen for $999 Thanksgiving week. Regular price $1899. I should have bought 2!

Also got a $15 Christmas toy/decoration last week for $1.50. It's a Santa in a sleigh and it sings some awful Christmas version of "Get Jiggy With it," but my 3 yo loves it.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by on 9th January 2008
  • ooh i am just soaking up the bargin fantasticness that you guys have been able to score!! i have no such good stories, yet! but i am sure maybe i will? i guess my only one is my grocery story tallys your 'savings' from using their VIP card and last year i save just over $100! i thought that was pretty cool just for doing pretty much nothing
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 9th January 2008
  • My gas update and darn if I didn't wish I had thought of filling up the gas cans, too!! Dratnabit. Anyway, I am pleased to report that I cruised into the gas station with barely 3 gallons left in the tank and spent 46 cents per gallon!!! It cost less than $9 to fill the tank. Saaweeeet.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mandy Nelson - Dandysound on 10th January 2008
  • Oh, biomom, I love by one get one, esp. with Cheerios. Neither of my girls will eat generic, either, and they are a staple in this house. Our grocery will also do 10 for $10 on things like Annie's mac & cheese so we've got shelves of that in the pantry, too.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mandy Nelson - Dandysound on 10th January 2008
  • Mandy, I'm tempted to haul myself out to your area and shop at your stores instead of mine...

Costco carries Annie's Mac N Cheese, so I buy that by the case (and tweak it with other cheeses and sour cream and stuff).

My kids were Cheerios only for a while, but I secretly switched to Trader Joe's O's and they haven't noticed. Keep your fingers crossed...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 10th January 2008
  • ooh lylah how do you tweek tha annies? i have a costco sized case of their mac and cheese, and as much as i want to love it, it just isnt as good as the blue box!!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 11th January 2008

Add a Reply