Group Discussions

Ikea: A fun place to shop?

Subscribe
  • Ikea: the kind of store you can spend a whole day or more in. The one time I went to the one in Atlanta I literally was there the whole day. Phew. Had a great time. Okay, it's hardly high quality stuff, but fun? Yes! Does anyone else enjoy Ikea like I do?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Diane on 17th January 2008
  • Me!!!!

My budget doesn't enjoy IKEA as much as I do, right now, alas. But there's so much to see and try out and it's so kid-friendly...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 17th January 2008
  • LOVE Ikea...way too much!

I've had nothing but great experiences there. And yes, it does take many hours. When my oldest was born we went to the one in CT and I had to nurse every hour but we walked out with some great furniture that changed our lives for under $400. And the family bathroom was great.

Most of their furniture doesn't "fit" for us. Hubby is 6'5" so it's funny when he sits in their chairs but their shelving and whatnot is worth a second look. We also build a lot of our own stuff so Ikea saves us time and energy when we find the right piece.

We haven't been to the new one in MA but the most recent catalog has us drooling over some shelving. I'm trying to figure out how to buy it and make it a write off for Dandysound. Serious.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mandy Nelson - Dandysound on 17th January 2008
  • OMG, I LOVE Ikea. A little too much. OK, a lot too much.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 17th January 2008
  • heehee, then we should bring WIM to Ikea! Meatballs and WIM. Could be scary.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mandy Nelson - Dandysound on 17th January 2008
  • The time I went I had awful morning sickness. At the checkout I picked up a huge Ikea tote bag for something ridiculous like 99c. I still feel ill when I look at it - brings back that pukey feeling... Ugh.

Well, well, glad I'm not alone. My husband thinks it's a form of psychological illness that you'd want to drive four hours to Atlanta and then spend eight hours shopping...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Diane on 17th January 2008
  • They opened one near me not that long ago, and it was chaos for months if you wanted to go there! now that it's been open for awhile, I may need to check it out. Also we're planning to do some remodeling, so that might be a good way to get my husband to go there with me!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by sdbab on 17th January 2008
  • i LOVE LOVE LOVE ikea!! the closest one is only about 30 minutes - the best time to go is to sneak away and go first thing in the morning on a week day. breakfast there is SO CHEAP and YUMMY (like $5 for 2 people for a full breakfast!)

we had needed a bunch of little organizing stuff so hubby and i played hookie while our DS was in daycare one day this summer (we didnt have room for kiddo AND stuff in the car!). it was a GREAT trip and at that time of the day not too many people! my hubby loves it but has the attention span of a gnat so it's good that he goes with me and keeps me from just standing around in awe of the place.

also i still have a chair i bought from there right out of college - it is by far one of the comfiest chairs ever and in fantastic shape! i think their 'real' furniture is just as good as other mass produced store furniture (and much less expensive!)
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 17th January 2008
  • Really? I just assumed their "real" furniture could not last very long, so I've never really looked at it.

Their organizational do-dads are fantastic value. Shelving, etc.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Diane on 18th January 2008
  • Ikea is an anthropologist's dream come true. Step into another universe where you find furniture with nonsense names, people reading signs that lead you throughout the store, making you think you are exitng, when you are not. No short cut give aways, but long promenades to get to the end.

My husband despises Ikea.

I love it.

I find it fascinating and I also like buying cool looking stuff for great prices. My kid's room is all Ikea and it is super cool and functional. Bookcases for the diseased book lovers that we are: yup. Corner office piece that looks expensive, but isn't and gives our office so much more room? Sitting at it right now.

And finally, I have furnished my entire tutoring center with Ikea furniture. Soup to nuts.

It rocks. And it's kinda weird, who wouldn't love that?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by on 18th January 2008

Add a Reply