Group Discussions

Any pilates fans?

Subscribe
  • I try to go to mat pilates 1 or 2x a week -- have been doing this for a few years and really enjoy the class. (A friend swears that her flat stomach is the result of being a pilates devotee for 3 years, but I can't claim the same

Anyone else? How often do you go? Have you tried one of the reformer classes? Is it very different from mat?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 27th January 2008
  • Nataly, I attend a reformer pilates class. It is very different from a mat class because you have a machine to offer the counterweight instead of your own body. You can work harder. But you can also be very sore the next day.

I like the class ok. It's at a convenient time and I like using the reformer. But the instructor likes to use a lot of variety in her class. I'd rather just do the same routine every time adding on at the end as we get more experienced. I like to get in the groove and really relax as I do it but I have to focus too much on what I'm doing. And since I've taken mat classes before there are some things, like the 100, that just seem silly on the reformer. I usually just move to the floor for that. Reformer classes are also more expensive than mat classes. But my local Y has a beautiful reformer studio with 10 machines.

all that said, I'm seeing some results. I don't have the neck pain I used to. So even if I'm all frustrated, I tell myself that it's cheaper than a physical therapy copay.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jenns on 28th January 2008

Add a Reply