Group Discussions

Violent movies!

Subscribe
  • Ugh. My husband has rented Apocalypto, that super-violent Mel Gibson movie. OMG. He's in the other room with the door closed, but all I've heard for the last twenty minutes is a succession of screams and other horrific sounds. I don't understand why so many movies are so very violent!! It just makes me sick to even think of watching a movie like that!! I need to put something on in this room to mask the sound. Yuk. Thanks. I feel better now.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Diane on 9th February 2008
  • Hey Diane,

I'm with you! I HATE violent movies and will often leave the room if the "date night" movie gets too horrible.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by KC on 9th February 2008
  • ew i do not like them either. i just dont understand the joy of watching other people get hurt? same with horror movies... yuck! hell, i can't even watch law shows or Lost LOL i am a whimp

but then, whats wrong with wanting to watch romances or comedies? i like to laugh! not be scared half to death...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 9th February 2008
  • The last violent movie I watched was Get Shorty and that played for the first 5 minutes and it was outta here.

I do like watching programs like CSI, NCIS, Numbers, Without a Trace etc... Believe me it's not for the violence but for the problem solving and yes I know 90% of what they are able to accomplish is fake. Reality shows like Suvivor will never find my TV tuned to their program but I can't stomach programs like Two and Half Men or Old Christine either...so go figure.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mary Jane on 9th February 2008
  • I'm fine with violent movies that aren't at all realistic -- Stupid videogame-esque flicks like "Ultra Violet" or very stylized movies like "Kill Bill." I'm also OK with movies where the violence is completely choreographed -- most martial-arts films. But realistic violence? Can't take it. Horror movies? Nope -- can't handle the psychological aspect. I can't watch movies about War, either... with those kinds of movies, all I can think is "someone lived through this, and it was horrific for them. Why is this entertainment?"

Then again, I can't watch chick flicks, etiher. They make me want to reach out and throttle the main characters.

I guess I'm stuck with comedies and spy dramas...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 10th February 2008
  • I was skimming something in the media recently which stated that scientists have discovered that the human brain actually craves violence.

Here's a tidbit which seems to support this concept: http://www.livescience.com/health/080117-violent-c ravings.html
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Uhura on 11th February 2008
  • uhura - does this mean i am not human? hehehe
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 11th February 2008
  • Kate: LOL-maybe...

Lylah-it's funny that you mentioned those things. I used to be big into horror movies in my 20s but now that I am in my 30s, I am not willing to watch them...As far as "chick flicks" go-I am not into those and never was.

I mostly like Sci-Fi and mysteries...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Uhura on 12th February 2008
  • Quoting: DianeR
    Ugh. My husband has rented Apocalypto, that super-violent Mel Gibson movie. OMG. He's in the other room with the door closed, but all I've heard for the last twenty minutes is a succession of screams and other horrific sounds. I don't understand why so many movies are so very violent!! It just makes me sick to even think of watching a movie like that!! I need to put something on in this room to mask the sound. Yuk. Thanks. I feel better now.

I understand-Apparently Apolcalypto was extremely violent... I cannot bring myself to watch it either.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Uhura on 12th February 2008
  • I really hate to admit this... but i love scary movies. not so much the violet/action ones because it gets pretty redundant. i mean really, how many car chase scenes can one movie hold. I enjoy a really good thriller or suspense movie. you feel like you've just ran a few miles by the end of it.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by babs on 24th February 2008

Add a Reply