Group Discussions

Frustrated and Avoiding the Gym

Subscribe
  • I am so frustrated after two kids and five years of fertility treatments...I don't know why I can't get to the gym...I just avoid it even though when I do go I feel great. Anyone feel like this? Or am I the only weirdo!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by sandra beck on 5th April 2008
  • I have been thinking about this too. I don't go to the gym but I have exercise dvds that I love. For about a week I will get up and doing one 1st thing. It feels great. I feel strong, energized and proud of myself. Then I keep doing it less and less, until I do nothing for a long time and then start again from the beginning. What do we have to do to be like those other people that just make exercise a part of their regular schedules????? I want to be able to 'just do it' without this long internal negotiation with myself where the lazy me always wins.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by olive on 5th April 2008
  • Hi, Sandra -- I went through a period like this a few years back, when I just avoided the gym, -- I had a lot going on at work, home, etc. I knew it was good for me and I felt good when I went, but I just didn't. I finally decided to find a class I liked and really would stick to -- and that's what got me back on the routine and I am a self-admitted gym junkie right now.

Would you consider checking out a class or even maybe signing up for a workout with a trainer? I found that structure kept me going.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 5th April 2008
  • First of all girls, thank you for replying. And Nataly -- you are gorgeous so it gave me a little boost today to get myself off the couch...Olive - I can't tell no photo...I took my kids to the beach in Santa Barbara near where we live and ran around. I live about 25 minutes from the closest gym, but you gave me an idea. I think itis the obligation -- or the structure as you call it -- where you are part of a class or obligated to a trainer. I called a mom who lives down the canyon from me and asked her if she would like to hike with me 3-4 times a week in the morning. We can gab, blow off steam and get in shape together. We are starting next week so I am hoping that my "never wanting to let anyone down" will drag my butt to meet her...of course, lazy wins for me but if I have to meet a friend I know I will go...xo!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by sandra beck on 6th April 2008

Add a Reply