Group Discussions

Working hours

Subscribe
  • What time do you get out of the house and what time do you get home? Are you satisfied with your work schedule?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mia on 18th April 2008
  • I usually leave the house by about 9:30 a.m., drop the little ones at preschool/daycare, get to work between 10:30 and 11, depending on traffic, and stay until 6:45 or 7. Sometimes -- on busy days -- I'm Ok with it, but on slow days, all I can think about is how much more work I could be getting done at home!

Of course, then I have a chance to work from home, and I think "Gah, I could get so much more done if I was at the office..."
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 18th April 2008
  • I leave the house at 5:15 am and get home at 3:00 pm. I wish I could work less/work from home.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by ramseyquipp on 18th April 2008
  • Before leaving Corporate America in February... I left the house at 4 am and arrived back home around 2:30. This worked for our kids in school as hubby got them off in the mornings and I was home by the time the bus arrived... but I was so sleep deprived it made me crazy! I am so glad to have transitioned to working at home. If you are trying to make that transition... I really encourage you to do your research and make a phase out plan (usually about 6 months). I used a lot of budgeting sites to help figure out how to save on groceries and cut monthly costs to make it work. The deal cincher for me was figuring out how much it was costing me to work outside my home. With daycare, fuel and eating out I wasn't clearing very much each month. Looking at it that way makes it a lot easier to figure out where to cut!
  • If I work an open shift I leave the house at 6 am (5 am on delivery days) and get back home around 6pm. If I work a closing shift I leave the house at 1pm and return at 11:30 pm (12:30 am on days they clean the floors).

I wish it weren't like that, but it is.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by DiannC on Monday
  • I leave between 6:30/7:30 and usually get home around 6:45/7. Based mostly on a very long commute. I'm looking to move closer to work; I would love to be able to come home some afternoons for lunch and kick off the shoes and rest.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Almond on 20th May 2008
  • I leave between 6:30 & 7:00, drop my preschooler off at school, drop the baby off at daycare, arrive to work at 8:00 and get home around 6:00. I hate my schedule.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mimi on 20th May 2008
  • I work from home. Generally I start work between 7:45 and 8:00 a.m. I generally stop about 5 p.m. I check email through out the rest of the evening since I have clients that are on the west coast and I am EST. This is one of the drawbacks of working from home. I am never truely off. I feel like I have to check and make sure there are no fires that need to be put out. This is something that is my personal issue not something that is required by my job.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jess on 20th May 2008
  • i try to leave between 7 and 7:30am and get home usually around 6 or 7ish at night. Luckily my hubby takes our son to daycare (at his work) and has him in the evenings before i get home! My commute is eats up a lot of the time, but then, it's also my only 'alone time' so i dont mind terribly. My husband is only 5 minutes from his job so moving isnt really an option (he tends to think all other drivers are 'clowns' and 'knuckleheads' so keeping his commute to a minimum is good for our son's vocabulary!Ha!)
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 20th May 2008

Add a Reply