Group Discussions

Moms Who Took The Leap

Subscribe
  • Well first off it is not an easy thing to do, especially, when you have a two income family, then it cuts to one. It is a huge step. I stayed at home for a year with my last child. My son AJ. I have two other children, but the option to stay home and raise them at that time was not one. I noticed real soon that it was hard taking care of a newborn and a 1 1/2yr old, and a toddler. I sometimes never wanted to get out of bed. That was several years ago, I somehow made it. Today, my oldest is 11 and will be graduating in a few weeks from 6th grade. I am so proud of her.

All it takes is a lot of patience, time, perserverance abd a whole lot of TYLENOL. lol
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Dahlia on Friday
  • I am considering this. We are expecting baby #3 in August. Our oldest will be starting school. I look forward to reading the opinions here.

Great topic!
  • I don't know if you could say I took the leap or it just happened that way. I had lost my last job due to a reconstructure, then found out I was pregnant. And it just happened that I didn't look for work after our son was born. It was tough to start with, but we survived. Then I found out I was pregnant with our daughter. We've had our ups and downs, but we're still kicking. And I've started my own business too. Not necessarily to make a complete living with, but more to just help out, and because it's something I enjoy doing.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by on Saturday
  • Hey ladies - I wish I could take the leap - I wish I could just walk away after 18 years with my career - IT's been lucrative - I have two children - very young -and collectively thus far, we've paid well over 60k in childcare - geeeze - isn't that a trip?

Without family out here, we've had to rely on ritzy, over priced care facilities for our children -

I wish I could just walk away, but my family depends on my great medical benefits, etc. and especially the salary - and let's not forget the retirement benes...

Jobs are a blessing - But my work and doublduty as a mom is terrific -

I often say that I leave work to go to work - I cook wholesome meals everyday - I'm always making a meal plan - easy to do menus that are healthy and wholesome - That's the great part - the cleaning is okay - and hubby, who doesn't work, does dishes - and that's it - bathrooms/bedrooms/laundry left up to me -

I'm tired - anyone else out there tired too? I closet-envy girlfriends who lay up and have it easy and their hubbys bring in the bacon --- so special.

I feel I can't relate to them at all --- I end up ptalking 'shop and biz' with their hubbys and sometimes I feel I can relate to them more -

eventhough everyone has kids - and oh, did I mention I have a biz too?

wooo - somebody talk to me! ha ha ha lol!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamanNW on Saturday
  • SOMETIMES IT JUST TAKES SOMETHING FROM WITHIN....

I am a working mom with three kids ages 2 1/2 and younger. My twins are the eldest and I have a 16 month old daughter all in daycare. It is super expensive, but I am just not fit to be a stay at home mom with toddlers. I stayed home with the twins during my pregnancy with baby girl, and I couldn't wait to get back in the business world. I missed networking and getting out and connecting with others, even if it was about the kids or a business deal.

After a whirl-wind of a year in 2007, in my early days of recovery from major depression and a hysterectomy, a surge of energy & passion overcame me to start taking steps toward making my dream a reality. I read books, researched articles on the internet and started my business plan. I knew that if I wanted anyone to take me seriously, a business plan would be necessary. Just as I was completing my recovery from surgery, I found a new job, closer to home and less stress, so I felt like I had a fresh start with my renewed energy and view on life. I was in a very dark place and the sight of sunshine was such a nice change for me.

My husband was supportive of my idea. With out his support, I could not be doing this venture. I also sought out others I knew were women entrepreneurs to find out how they did it and what they would do differently. I talk to everyone about what I am doing, because you never who has resources to assist you. Whether it be a tip, discount on something or exposure, you just never know. My husband gets a little aggravated with me b/c I am always working. I know, I know...there should be a line drawn, but if I'm out shopping and the situation or discussion lends to a comment about business or resources, I will tend to ask or tell about my business.

I officially began selling cards in January of this year and just added mothers day and fathers day cards to my website. In my four months of being open, I am already noticing a shift in who I thought would be main customer base or focus on marketing. You have to be flexible and realize that the only constant is change.

angelice

www.geminigreetings.com
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Bayou Twin Mom on 27th April 2008

Add a Reply