Group Discussions

Poll: If you're married or have a partner, how do you split up housework?

Subscribe
  • If you're married or have a partner, how do you split up housework?

Talk about this week's poll!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Work It, Mom! Team on 19th May 2008
  • I just wonder if the idea that we share it "equally" would stand up under scientific scrutiny!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Andrea on 21st May 2008
  • It's so hard to quantify. I absolutely do more work here at home, but if you were going to talk chores, it would seem that he does more.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 22nd May 2008
  • Hubs likes the outdoor stuff: lawn maintenance, garbage, gutters, etc and he does that without asking. He is also responsible for emptying the dishwasher, hopefully refilling it, and he does his own laundry. He also does most of the phone calls related to the house because I hate the phone.

I take care of everything else. But I'm a slacker so much of it is sporadic until we have company when everyone pitches in to get the house clean.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jenns on 22nd May 2008
  • This one's an easy one. I do the inside and he does the outside. No arguing and no whining because neither of us wants to do what the other one does. I don't want to clean up after the dog and he doesn't want to deal with cleaning the bathroom! lol. So he does the gardening, yard clean up, car maintenance, household repairs (in and out) and mail. I cook, clean, do laundry, and maintain the inside. Something we do share in is spending time with the kids. Engaging them in the daily chores, and helping each other with their daily activities (ie., showers, homework, mealtimes, bedtime). I guess in this case we figure, the faster they're showered and put to bed, the sooner we'll have time for each other! haha. And that's something we appreciate and always need more of...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by m03diaz on 26th May 2009
  • We have settled into certain duties but for the most part, we have a "get it done" attitude. Keeping score isn't healthy for us because it tends to breed a martyr complex. My attitude tanks when I start focusing on how much I'm doing or how much he isn't. In the end, I would say we're pretty even. I'm pretty lucky.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by BrendaG on 26th May 2009
  • After about 10 years into the marriage, we both have found our comfortable chores! He does lawn mostly and empties dishwasher every day. I do cooking and cleanup. We share child care, laundry and vacuuming.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lakshmi on 10th June 2009
  • It's split pretty evenly. He cleans throughout the day and I take over at night - do laundry on Sundays (he does loads throughout the week as needed) and usually take care of the real scrubbing of my hated, white ceramic tile kitchen floor. We split yard work evenly. I sometimes take great pleasure in being destructive when it comes to the weed population so I'd rather do it.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Phe on 10th June 2009

Add a Reply