Group Discussions

Dealing with a plugged duct

Subscribe
  • I can't believe this is happening right now!!! Yesterday I was nursing babyjama, and had a pain deep in my breast. I thought maybe it was just empty so I switched sides with her. Nope I have a painful lump in there, and I'm pretty sure it's a plugged duct (I've done quite a bit of research on the topic). I really don't want it to turn into mastitis, but this is the worst possible time for the recommendation to be "climb into bed and nurse often and rest". I will take it as easy as possible, but does anyone have any other recommendations?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 19th May 2008
  • warm compresses might help. Just wet a washcloth with warm, not hot, water and apply to the sore area. I seem to recall moist heat is better than dry heat. And then nurse about 10-20 minutes in.

Also, I think if you stop rotating sides and always start with the sore side that should help you work in more nursing without altering your schedule too much. Would babyjama feed in a sling? You could put her in and just let her hang out and nurse whenever she wants. You'll have some fun later breaking all these bad habits but it sure beats mastitis.

The timing might not be great, but with these things, you can lose one day now or lose a week later on when it turns into mastitis. Good luck!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jenns on 19th May 2008
  • I had a terrible case a mastitis with my first child. I had never heard of it until I got it. The las comment was right. You need a warm washclothe of some sort of heat on it and then rub it. I would microwave slightly damp washclothes. The best medicine for it as painful as it may be is to have your baby nurse on it and try to work through it, or heat and pump. For me it was such a fine balance of working throught it yet not over producing too much milk. I also had to go on antibotics for the fever as well.

Listen to your body and make sure that latching is correct and all equiptment is clean and sterlized because once bacteria passes through it is hard to fight the infection.

Good luck!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Amy on 19th May 2008
  • Thanks Ladies, I'm hoping that I'm over the hump. I have been doing warm compresses on and off throughout the day and nursing nursing nursing. I also called my local LLL leader, and she helped me out too. She told me that if I could nurse with the baby's chin pointed toward the painful spot that it could help drain that area. It all seems to be helping. I had a fever last night and was feeling just terrible. So today I took it very easy and I'm hoping that I'll feel better tomorrow.

Thanks again!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 21st May 2008
  • Glad you're feeling better! The LLL leaders advice is right on target. To avoid the problem in the future, switch up the position from time to time and massage the affected area often. In addition to pointing her chin in that direction, try the opposite too. It might be ackward, but rotating around the breast throughout the course of the day is a good preventative too. It's easy to get into a rut of always using the same position that mom and baby find most comfortable.

And don't worry about "bad habits", what ever works for you and baby is what is right for you and baby...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by MAC on 21st May 2008
  • I hope by the time you read this you are feeling tons better! I had the same thing w/ #2 and it was insane. I was in the middle of intense yoga training, too! Just so you know, the area will remain sore for a week or two but not as bad as the original pain. And it goes away and you forget about it...just like the rest of the bad things! Good luck.
  • Thanks guys, I am feeling like myself today. I think what really brought all this on was STRESS. My dad and sister were in a car accident a few weeks ago, and nothing has been the same since. I've been driving all around town taking people to work, calling all kinds of doctors, taking messages, holding down the fort at my parents' house while they go to appointments, going to see attorneys, plus two of my sisters graduated (from high school and college) in the past week, and there's still work and housework and a fast little crawler to keep up with here. It's been completely and utterly nuts. Thanks for all the support. I'm hoping that everything is slowing down now (it seems to be). Thank goodness I seem to be over this. I don't know what I would do otherwise.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 22nd May 2008
  • Glad to hear you are feeling better. So sorry about all the stress right now. Hope your family will be fine. I have learned that stress is the NUMBER 1 physical problem for me. I always manifest my stress through some sort of physical thing. Luckily I know had to mangage it. Stay hydrated for sure and deep breathes are all good for me.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Amy on 22nd May 2008
  • Hope you're feeling better.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Candice Kwark on 14th April 2011

Add a Reply