Group Discussions

Senate Intelligence Committee says Iraq war started "on false premises"

Subscribe
  • First, read this article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080605/pl_nm/iraq_usa _intelligence_dc

This excerpt sums it all up tidily:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President George W. Bush and his top policymakers misstated Saddam Hussein's links to terrorism and ignored doubts among intelligence agencies about Iraq's arms programs as they made a case for war, the Senate intelligence committee reported on Thursday.

The report shows an administration that "led the nation to war on false premises," said the committee's Democratic Chairman, Sen. John Rockefeller of West Virginia. Several Republicans on the committee protested its findings as a "partisan exercise."

So... we impeach Clinton for diddling around with an intern and lying about it, but Bush faces nothing for deliberately leading us into war on false pretenses?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 5th June 2008
  • I've been trying to think of things to write in reply that won't come off as too mean-spirited or divisive to those with opinions different than mine. So, with respect to individual values about sexuality... From a larger perspective, I've found myself thinking that our country has it backwards with the things we react to the strongest. Janet Jackson's nipple and Bill Clinton's infidelity move us to rage in ways that ultimate fighting tv and distorted intelligence (the direct result of which was the immeasurable human loss and suffering) do not. As the saying goes, "If you aren't completely appalled, then you're not paying attention."

So, if there's a reasonable explanation that's not about keeping one group in control, then I want to hear it. Otherwise, it seems that the points Scott McClellan tried to make in his recent book are scarily true, and are the most powerful operative structures in our country right now. So, as citizens, where does that leave us?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Traci on 6th June 2008
  • I've often thought that the impeaching of Bill Clinton was strange when George W. Bush has not been an honest president. It is strange the emphasis that we give to sex scandals over human suffering. Your response is very eloquent Traci!

I think that it's bound to continue though...afterall, we spent weeks in the primary season debating flag pins and the national anthem...hmmm
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 10th June 2008

Add a Reply