Group Discussions

Working/Dieting- How to do it???

Subscribe
  • So I was on Weight Watchers and was down to my goal weight (160) and maintained it for over a year until I started working for the Court System. I love my job but my co-workers are the type of people that celebrate EVERYTHING with cake, pizza, bagels, etc!! I've been at my new job for a year and have gained 12 pounds! (I'm up to 172 and the size 12's are getting snug!). How do I stick to my weight watchers with all the temptations???
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Vanessa on 15th August 2008
  • Vanessa,
    That's tough. Maybe instead of celebraing with cake, pizza, etc. you can celebrate healthier - smoothies, veggie trays, fruit trays. Splurging once in a while is okay too.

And maybe pick one day a week that you splurge - a small piece of cake, a piece of pizza, etc.

And it's easier to say no when you have an alternative plan and have a healthy snack or lunch on hand. The temptation isn't quite as great.

Get an accountability buddy. Is there someone at work also wanting to shed a few pounds? Team up and support each other.

BELIEVE Success!

Lisa
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lisa Willard on 15th August 2008
  • That is hard. Does the court buy or do people take turns? If the court buys, talk to the buyer and request a salad with the pizza. Or order it when it's your turn. Chances are, other people will appreciate it and the trend will continue. Or just bring a salad when you know it's a pizza day. Enjoy your slice and fill-up on the salad. Sure, it's not quite the free lunch, but it's cheaper than a new wardrobe.

Another idea is to get the whole department on your side. Rope in HR and get a weight loss team going within your department or even company-wide. The company benefits because healthy employees cost less to insure. Tie in with Biggest Loser, or WW or something. Then you'll have more support in trying to change the treats or how the group celebrate things. What about flowers instead of food?

Back in the day, I used to give up sweets for a month when I needed to get my weight back on track. [sigh--those days are long gone] I'd allow 2 cheats, often planned for the birthday celebration or when I knew there was something good coming up. Other times, I'd ask myself it this was worth breaking my promise. Usually it wasn't. But if it was, I knew I'd enjoy it and I'd recognize it as a treat vs the norm.

If all else fails, make it count. Nutritionally, that is. To fill yourself up until the next meal, you need a meal/snack with sugar, carbs, protein and fat. The sugar kicks in first. As the energy from the sugar is dropping, the carbs are giving you energy, then the protein, and finally the fat. (Or those last two could be reversed, not going to check right now) Anyway, if you augment the treat of the moment to be more balanced, you can carry yourself to the next meal with little consequence. So say there's donuts at 10. Have one and add a handful of peanuts and a tub of applesauce (both desk-stable) and that should carry you til lunch when all you'll need is a small chicken salad. Otherwise, you eat the donut, maybe 2, crash by 11 and eat an extra large lunch because you're hungry and tired.And maybe get stuck on a sugar/fat cycle where you're sluggish and over-eating all day.

Best of luck!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jenns on 16th August 2008
  • I've just started Weight Watchers (online) and am sorting through some of the same issues.

One thing that seems to pervade the WW program is moderation. You CAN have a slice of pizza at lunch. Maybe that means you eat a veggie (zero points) laden supper that night. One piece of pizza and a green salad from your personal stash. Half a bagel and some fruit or yogurt. A tiny slice of cake and a cup of coffee.

Believe me, I totally get where you are, and how difficult it can be. A friend of mine is close to 200 pounds gone on WW, and she says eating veggies and walking is the key to her success so far. I figure if she can drop that much, I can drop what I need.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kelly O on 18th August 2008
  • It is challenging to drop weight at work because of all the candy dishes, celebrations, and sitting and sitting... You have to do something different to get where you want to be since what you have done thus far have gotton you to this point. Be clear on your goal and go for it, no need for candy when you want to be slimmer. You can do it but be different. Walk, do the elliptical, do fun active stuff.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Francesca on 18th August 2008
  • I have some problems with my weight.I would lose the weight then gain it back plus a bit more. This time it is getting a little harder.I know I needd to change some of my habits,but it is a little hard when I,m making three diffferent meals a day,because my kids don't like half of what I make,and I would make something quick and easy,because I'm in bed by four or five,because of my work schedule.I like to go out for walks,but I'm on my feet seven to ten hours a day,so I'm pretty well worn out.Any ideas on what I could do differently,I'm up to any suggestions.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Regina on 19th August 2008
  • It is tough at work. My personal way of dealing before my daughter was to just up my workouts, now I have a tough time getting to the gym. One thing that worked for me was to take a healthy snack for the AM. I tend to get hungry at 10, so if I eat a healthy filling snack I tend to not be as hungry even in the afternoon. That makes it easier to resist temptation or to go overboard if you do partake.

Even better, is there someone at work who could be a 'diet' buddy? Having someone who is a partner will help since you will have someone supporting you, watching you and hopefully resisting temptation with you.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Stacey S on 21st August 2008
  • Here's what worked for me. Actually, I wasn't trying to lose weight, but to stop getting zits, but it had the pleasant side effect of getting me into a size 8.

Here it is: I quit eating chocolate and fried/greasy foods. I also don't drink alcohol. If you just tell people you "never" eat chocolate any more because it doesn't agree with you, they won't take it personally or press you. Since about 90% of all the "bad" sweet stuff has chocolate in it, that will save you a lot of grief right there. Then, pizza: you don't eat fried or oily foods, as they don't agree with you. Same thing for fries, deep fried goodies, chips, etc. Now, you've managed to eliminate about 95% of the unwanted calories without offending anyone. The other 5%? Go for it! That much won't hurt you.

If you have to eat something "bad" that you feel will throw you off, commit to yourself that you will skip the next meal or eat only a low-calorie salad with no dressing to make up for it. If it's not worth giving up your next meal, at least that will give you more incentive to take just a tiny piece of the "bad" stuff.

You might want to keep something non-perishable in your office space that you can add to the spread of celebratory options on a moment's notice. My preference would be Guiltless Gourmet baked tortilla chips. If that's not your thing, maybe a mixture of raw, un-adorned nuts and raisins. This would allow you to partake without feeling guilty. Some of your colleagues might really be glad for your initiative. In any group of women, I find usually more than half are dieting at some level.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by SKL on 21st August 2008
  • Oh, and to avoid an overpowering craving to take a larger quantity than you should, try eating whole, organic fruit, vegetables, and/or nonfat yogurt throughout the day. I used to have an apple and an orange halfway between breakfast and lunch, then have carrots and greens and whole-grain bread at lunch time, then maybe a yogurt later on. It kept me pretty satisfied throughout the day.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by SKL on 21st August 2008
  • I'm in the same boat. We don't have a cafeteria, so there are tons of catered meetings or "project lunches." Plus, someone's always bringing donuts or bagels. I try to avoid the snacks and have just a small portion of whatever unhealthy meal there is. When I do splurge, I try to make up for it by having a low-cal breakfast and dinner when I am in control of the menu at home. Sometimes I have to wait until the weekend to cut back on the cals, but I try to aim for a balanced week and not let one "bad" day ruin my eating plan.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by allyson on 21st August 2008

Add a Reply