Group Discussions

Do you feel pressure at work because you are black?

Subscribe
  • Seems like it's a throwback to - or a reminder of a dark period in American history.

Either way - we're still Black right? And I still say
    -Julie
    -American

or
    -Black

is appropriate.

I don't see the need to focus on the nomeclature of the moment.

MLK used "colored" and even "Negro" back in the day. Next, someone came up with "African American."

It's simply the nomenclature of the moment and it has little relevance to my day to day life. Let's say every non-Black person in this planet started calling Blacks living in the US "African American" - would it change my life in any way? Newp.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Uhura on 18th September 2008
  • I would not say that I feel pressure at work because I am black. I work around black women and I think they have always been hard on me. I understand Amanda because I don't have a white name perse I am told I "talk white" and "different". I have to say I think it is awful. I am married to a white man and I beleive that no white person ever thought of me as being white but I am always having to "prove" my blackness it is plaine ignorant. I am am 2 mos from graduating w/ my bachelors and have been interviewing I feel like i am not necessarily discriminated in that arena however me being a woman and black I think it is harder for someone to give you a shot if you need a foot through the door. I just had my baby 6 weeks ago and go back to work on Tuesday. I think it may be different since a lot of black women at my job are moms but I am hoping not to have to be there for long.
    Cassi
    btw I prefer black.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by ITgirl on 22nd September 2008
  • To answer the original question - I feel pressure @ work because I am intelligent and conscientious.

Someone like that will frequently find themselves at odds with the lazy and unqualified.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Uhura on 30th September 2008
  • To answer the original question - I feel pressure @ work because I am intelligent and conscientious.

Ditto But not so much with the Lazy and Unqualified part...
    I have a very diverse workplace, and I feel pressure at work because I am surrounded by talented people to whom I hope to present myself to as a worthy competitor and a qualified teammate.

And If I have to choose I prefer Black or Brown in mixed company. I like brown because I feel it unites me with everyone else who is brown and not necessarily just "African Americans".
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by coparent on 17th March 2009
  • I gave up the burden of carrying "my entire race upon my shoulders" years ago. No matter how intelligent, poised, or articulate that I may be, some people can only associate Black women with the sterotypical loud, neck-rolling caricature depicted in the media. Those who know and work with me know that I am about my business.. I am always a professional and I am great at what I do. What I find is that people in general, no matter the race, can be intimidated by anyone "above average" because it knocks them out of their comfort zone and makes them face their own subpar performance. When I have to put others in "check" I don't discriminate based on race, creed, or color! (LOL!) I will say though that some of my worst workplace experiences/treatments have been from southern Whites AND Blacks...maybe its a southern thing.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by AltaDiva on 13th April 2009
  • I gave up the burden of carrying "my entire race upon my shoulders" years ago. No matter how intelligent, poised, or articulate that I may be, some people can only associate Black women with the sterotypical loud, neck-rolling caricature depicted in the media. Those who know and work with me know that I am about my business.. I am always a professional and I am great at what I do. What I find is that people in general, no matter the race, can be intimidated by anyone "above average" because it knocks them out of their comfort zone and makes them face their own subpar performance. When I have to put others in "check" I don't discriminate based on race, creed, or color! (LOL!) I will say though that some of my worst workplace experiences/treatments have been from southern Whites AND Blacks...maybe its a southern thing.
    ____________________________________________________________________________

100% Co-sign
    ; )
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by MaryAnn82 on 27th July 2009
  • I would like to add that I do not believe we are living in a post-racial America because we have a black/bi-racial president.

I do think that racism, and discrimination do persist in the workforce as you have people competing for vital economic resources.

I try to remain in mixed workplace settings that have track record of implementing diversity or multicultural programs to deserving folks from all ethnic groups.

I prefer to work with EVERYBODY!

Black Enterprise is the only AA magazine I subscribe to because the information is beneficial--rather you are self employed or not this magazine has a wealth of information.

Also

"Success Runs in Our Race" George C. Frazier

How to succeed in business with out being white by Earl Graves

are a few books that come to mind.

One other thought is, I don't believe that only white people can harbor racist/discriminatory tendencies either: other people of color have demonstrated they don't want to do business with us or work with us.

This era still requires racial discpline IMHO
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by MaryAnn82 on 27th July 2009

Add a Reply