Group Discussions

Cloth vs. Plastic

Subscribe
  • For several years, I have taken my own cloth bags when I grocery shop. I notice that our grocery store is now offering bags for sale to help reduce the use of plastic. I am wondering who takes their own bag to the grocery store? Also, do you think that the stores selling the bags are truly concerned with the number of plastic bags ending up in the landfills or is it a financial reason, like the cost to them to supply plastic bags has increased.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by lynn59 on 15th October 2008
  • I do that too. I have a few cloth and canvas bags I take to groceries when I am not buying too much. Anything to be a 'green' shopper
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by coolchick332 on 15th October 2008
  • I bought a couple, but I usually forget to bring them into the store. Eventually I'll get into the habit.

My grocery store gives a nickel discount per bag if I bring my own. I am pretty sure it costs less than a nickel to buy a throwaway bag, so my guess is they actually care, or at least it's a marketing idea to get green folks to shop there more. But, I shop at an organic food store, so that might make a difference.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by SKL on 16th October 2008
  • I LOVE my cloth bags. Not only do they help reduce on plastic, but they are so much stronger and you can really load them up. Our local grocery store also gives a nickel discount when you use your cloth bags...I think that's a really neat idea. I hope to see more people catching on to this idea.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by MommyOFtwo on 16th October 2008
  • I have acouple cloth bags- but I always get plastic at the store as I use them as garbage bags in the kitchen and bathroom garbage cans. I don't buy any bags, so...not sure if
    it balances it out or not. But saves me $.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by eileen b on 16th October 2008
  • Bottom line, I think the reason stores are offering the bags is for advertising not to help the environment. I use cloth bags, but I don't see very many other people using them.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by marathonmom on 16th October 2008

Add a Reply