Group Discussions

Weight Loss Woes

Subscribe
  • Hello, everyone!

I'm new to both this site and this group, and I have a bit of a problem that I could use some help with. I'm a first-time mom and things started out great. I only gained about 30 lbs during my pregnancy and, after my daughter was born, I lost every last pound that I had gained. Unfortunately, I have since gained 20 lbs back.

I have a bit of a motivation problem when it comes to exercise. I can start exercising, no problem. It's keeping it up that I find difficult. I've tried various exercise DVDs (from dance-away-your-belly-fat types to buckle-down-and-work types), I've tried "games" (DDR, Wii Fit), and I've tried throwing together a workout on my own. Each time, there's always something that interferes with my workout schedule and then I end up stopping all together.

I think I would do well with a class, but there are a couple of problems there. 1) My husband and I only have 1 vehicle. 2) I don't know how to drive said vehicle yet (it's a manual transmission and I can only drive automatic), so I can't just drop him off at work and keep the vehicle for the day. 3) He gets home pretty late, so taking a class after he gets home is a bit unreasonable.

Working out with someone else would be a fun alternative, except that I don't know anyone where I live. My husband and I are still renting, so we've only been in the neighborhood for about a year and there's no one else that's my age (it's mainly just retired widowers here.) The only friend of mine within driving distance is still about a 30-minute drive away.

Having said all that, I did try to sign up for an aqua-aerobics class but it was all full. Apparently 7:30 is a popular work-out time where I live. I hope to make it into the class in the spring, but I need do something between now and then.

I know I've practically written a book here, but do any of you have any suggestions? I really want to lose those 20 lbs. so that I can better keep up with my 11-month-old (she's been walking for a month now) and feel good about myself again!

Signed,

Kaori, a mommy in distress!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kaori on 6th November 2008
  • Oh man i know exactly what you are going through! I barely gained weight when I was pregnant, immediately lost it all and some, got down to a size 4...and now...15 months later im at 140lbs and a size 7. I cant drive, i can start a workout...lose motivation....and also....i DO NOT like fruits and Veggies....If you want to start a support thing with eachother I am so up for it, we can e-mail back and forth to keep ourselves motivated...see if that works, maybe even make a plan and keep at it to see how we progress :)
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Samantha on 13th November 2008
  • That would be great! We'll have to work out the details and see if we can't get something going! I'll send along a message so that we can get this working. :)
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kaori on Tuesday
  • I'm the same way! I lost 50 lbs starting with my weight a week post-partum. I have since gained 15 lbs back. I'm only 5'2". 15lbs looks horrible. Especially when I should lose about 25lbs total. I started running on my treadmill for 15 minutes every day after work. Then we started going shopping right after work and it threw my routine off and I eventually stopped. I try doing crunches because my tummy just does not look nice anymore. My muscles are so weak in my stomach that 20 sit ups hurts to the point I have to stop for about 30 seconds before doing 20 more. I just don't want to take time away from my daughter to join Curves or something. I need to do it in my house. I cut my portions to only eat a small plate, mostly the healthiest item of the meal (at least 1/2 the plate of whatever that is), and I rarely ever go for desert. My food intake definately isn't the issue. Good luck to you ladies as well!!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by on Wednesday
  • Oh, what I wouldn't give for a treadmill! I had been planning on buying one until I looked at the prices recently. I swear I remember them being about $200 for a relatively decent one while I was pregnant. My husband and I went looking the other day and now it's at least $350 if you want one that doesn't look like it'll fall apart within 6 months.

I'm with you on the tummy part, Marcia! I really think my downfall was eating sugar again about 5 months after my daughter was born. I slipped back into eating comfort foods a month later when my daughter started having medical problems. I've cut out (most) junk food and eat much healthier, yet those stubborn pounds just won't go away!

Don't give up on those sit-ups, Marcia! It's always hard in the beginning, but you just have to increase reps gradually. I think I'm going to be starting a light workout again on the 24th so I'll be feeling the burn, too!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kaori on Wednesday
  • Well, I've officially started my weight loss plan. It started today with my morning workout. I found a neat little site which promises a reasonable amount of weight loss in a reasonable amount of time, and it doesn't cost you anything (aside from a workout DVD of your choice, perhaps). Here's the link:

http://www.nowloss.com/how-to-lose-50-pounds-fast-in-5-months.htm

Tae Bo is what is given as an example on the site, but I have a Power 90 set collecting dust so I've decided to use that. I think the hardest part of this plan is going to be sticking to the "5 small meals a day" part. I'm more of a breakfast-lunch-dinner kinda girl, but I'm going to try my best!

My goal is to lose the weight by March/April. I will be sure to keep you updated on how things are progressing, so if it works you can give it a try as well! Have either of you come up with a good weight loss strategy yet?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kaori on 1st December 2008
  • Don't give up! If you make exercise a priority, you'll find a way to make it happen! Sometimes I get so busy I schedule things every night of the week and never have time to get to my yoga classes. But if I make yoga the priority then I remember to shift everything else around it. After all, if I don't take care of myself, how can I take care of anyone else?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Michelle@WhatDoesYourBodyGood on 18th February 2009
  • Don't give up! I firmly believe that health is wealth. I packed on the holiday pounds, so I'm on a healthy diet. And by that, I mean a good balance of protein, carbs and fat. Plus, I'm on the treadmill. But perhaps, when spring comes, I'll job outside and even hop on something like this:

http://schwinnusa.com/allschwinn_3403201_B0021I150I_Schwinn-Coronado-Womens-Comfort-Bike-26-Inch-Wheels.html
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kim the Cybersurfing Junkie on 12th January 2010

Add a Reply