Group Discussions

Do you ever get sick of being frugal?

Subscribe
  • I don't think I'm too frugal by nature, but we don't live beyond our means and I like saving money, it makes me feel accomplished. With the economy where it is and with my husband laid off until recently (yay! back to work), we've been cutting spending even more and I have to say, I'm a bit sick of it.

I don't want to complain because we have the basics and are fine, but was curious -- do you ever get sick of living frugally?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 26th March 2009
  • Every time I see a really big television. ;)

(Really!)
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mir Kamin on 30th March 2009
  • I wouldn't say I get sick of living frugally - just tempted to step outside the limits!

I usually have the hardest time at the food co-op - I go threre for certain veggies and fruits, and always look longingly at the lovely artisan cheeses.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by EngineerMom on 30th March 2009
  • We are still using a lot of hand-me-down furniture. Some days I would love to have all new furniture and homewares... even though I know they would be caked in mac n cheese and fruit juice in little to no time at all!!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by C. Conley on 31st March 2009
  • C. Conley,
    Remember this - the "hand-me-down' furniture will be, in about 50 years, an antique.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by JKLD on 24th April 2009
  • Who wouldn't want to be able to get anything they or their family needs and sometimes even wants without ever even worrying about what it cost or how you will pay for it. After 8 months of finally being back to work..her came the 2 ND lay off. Didn't go crazy when he went back to work..only thing I have to cut back down is the phone, have talked about no cable at all (we just have basic now) my daughter is not thrilled about the idea. But his unemployment is not as much as the last time and have 2 extra hospital bills from when he was in the hospital. So just trying to figure it all out for now.
    Tired of it...yes...wish I didn't even have to think about it. Isn't life fun.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by eileen b on 8th May 2009
  • I feel like C.Conley! I would love new furniture and new bedsheets because ours look so worn and tattered. I hate spending money on things that I know will be destroyed in a matter of weeks anyway. We have dogs and although they are very small, a 7 pound dog can wreak a lot of damage with those small teeth! Now we have our son, who throws and spills everything and is sometimes just plain covered in filth from playing or swimming. I look at our couch and our sheets and even my mom gets on us to buy new ones but I just can't bear to spend the money just to have it ruined again.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by oceans mom on 10th September 2009
  • My fiance and I both work our tails off and it seems as fast as the pay check comes in it is completely gone.....all to bills!!! Just one day would I like to go shopping and buy new things for our home and ourselves and pay CASH! Most importantly, when we are done and everything is in its place, not have to worry about what bill won't get paid because we just splurged!!!! LOL
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Making Dreams come true-Mom on 17th September 2009
  • yeah, sometimes I want every beautiful purse I see or I want some newer clothes...but I think we are coming to a point where we are trying really hard to find balance. Like yes, hubby can have the money to join a softball league and I can have the money to go out with a mom's group...things that renew us and keep us happy.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Erin on 29th April 2010
  • I hate being the frugal one in the marriage. My husband doesn't always understand that even though he got paid there is no money. I try so hard but often feel like i'm fighting a losing battle. I recently got a very small bonus at work $50. Hubby got mad cuz I had the cash and didn't give him any...I used it for groceries
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mama2boyz on 10th May 2010

Add a Reply