Group Discussions

No time to exercise

Subscribe
  • I certainly know all too well finding time to excercise can be a challenge. How about breaking your workouts into maybe 3 - 10 minute segments? Alot of people seem to find it much easier especially with small kids. The key is to have the support of others and posting here is the 1st step.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Cwilli620 on 9th September 2010
  • I have 2 boys, age 5 & 8, and an 18 month-old baby girl. I, like many here, work full-time. By the time I get home, it's all about their homework, dinner, bathtime, and bed-time. I still try my very best to fit in time to exercise - at least 5-6 days a week.

The one thing that has made this possible is to change my exercise routine. I was always working out between 30-45 minutes, which is a struggle to fit in to any day, let alone 5 days a week. What I find to work really well for me is doing a shorter, higher-intensity workout. My workout is literally 12 minutes, with a 2-3 minute warm-up or cool-down.

Check out Bodyrock.tv or Zuzanalight.com for short, super-intense workouts. Research fitness regimens following the Tabata Protocol, which is basically a very short interval of high-intensity exercise followed by a much shorter rest interval. It's a 4-minute cycle with 20 seconds super-high, and 10 seconds rest. Repeat this cycle 3 times, and you've just completed a 12 minute, intense workout that will have your heart racing.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by NJMom on 10th September 2010
  • I am just another mom but absolutely feel you on this one. Before my son I worked out a LOT. My husband works 2nd shift, so in the evenings I would work out for an hour, go home cook, have a glass of wine and be smiling when he got home.... (the vision makes me laugh now) ...now reality is this, Saturday mornings are one day I have vowed to work out and I do...but the other 6 days of the week.... LOL... look more like, get home, feed the kid, figure out what to feed myself and fix hubby for dinner the next night at work... bathe kid, chase kid to bed multiple times before he stays there.... hope there is wine in the house to have a glass at 9pm when its all done... oh yeah and sometimes I have to clean or do laundry in between it. I get up at 5am and leave at 6:30 to be at work by 8, I have one LONG commute, so much like you I struggle to get it in, but as the last post said, the key I've found to be to find short work outs that do the trick. Jackie Warner, she now has a new reality show I think its call thintervention, or something similar, anyhow, her DVDs are broken into short segments and will really kick you into gear quick, so maybe try that at first, finding 15 min is sometimes much more reasonable than an hour and if you have it at home you can do it while envisioning the glass of wine you'll reward yourself with afterwards! good luck!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by tired momma! on 22nd September 2010
  • What about joining of those boot camps? You just go twice a week for an hour and it really seems to work!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Veg Mom on 2nd March 2011
  • Are you an emotional eater? Ready to do something about it?

Manifest Your heart's Desire
    affordable coaching

Rosie Manifest Coach

First session free.
    Sliding scale $25-40 a phone session.
    30-45 min phone sessions

ask me about my Mentor program,

roseshuy@yahoo.com
    520-250-0567
    Reported. Posted by rose on 6th March 2011
  • I was terrible about this until I started to have really bad PMS and stress. I kept reading about the benefits of exercise, knowing it would make me feel better. It's easier to commit to a routine when I know that I'll be more relaxed and have more patience with my kids. I get up early in the morning and do it before they are awake. It is hard sometimes, but I am a morning person, and I feel better all day when I do, so reminding myself of the benefits makes it easier.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jenny Lewis on 25th September 2012

Add a Reply