Group Discussions

What's your biggest challenge as a parent?

Subscribe
  • I'd probably say for me it's endless patience that it requires. I am not a patient person, not in the least, and while our daughter is already five, it's still a learning process for me:)
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on Thursday
  • I would have to agree with you, Nataly, patience is the biggest thing I learned as a parent and am still learning. Even at 15, my son tries my patience. Every age and every child seems to bring out new things.

I was never a very patient person. Over the years, I have learned to be very patient. Patient while waiting for them to learn something or to get ready to leave. Patience to deal with their little idiosyncracies or occasional bouts of rudeness.

I have learned so much about people and feelings through my children. I feel my children have made me become a much better person. I would not be who I am today without them.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kimberly Reddington on 22nd September 2009
  • adjusting to all of the change that is an inevitable part of being a mom. im not a person who adjusts to change, big or small, well.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by daisygirl48161 on 5th November 2009
  • This is off the subject. i had a bit of a problem and asked my mother to care for my Children until I got things back together. It took me two and a half years and when i asked my mother for the girls back in my care she refused. I later found out she seeked the court for permanate custody and asked the court to refuse me of all visitation. Can she do this. I am a clean parent no drugs or alcohol. I have a bedroom, clothes, and other essitials for them. My husband is angry at me because I seeked the court to remove guardianship from my mother. He says I am not fully prepared to care for them just yet, But I feel i am ready.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Machuc1 on 6th November 2009
  • Agreeing with my spouse on how to parent. I saw an article recently on the subject and totally related: http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/10/when-parents-disagree/
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by erin on 12th November 2009
  • I agree with the above comment. I also relate to this, too! Consistency can be an issue with me. I am at times inconsistent when I'm tired or just want time to myself.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by jeri on 18th November 2009
  • Not being in control of every situation. Before my daughter I never questioned what a dinner outside of the house would bring or even a simple trip to the store. Now, even if I think I'm prepared for anything, there is bound to be a surprise that will leave me thowing my hands in the air.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Tessa on 18th May 2010
  • Single parenting is all on just one person's shoulders, however I have learned patience, even though I secretly roll my eyes when not pleased.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Annie on 26th May 2010
  • Trying to remember that my kids are as much my teachers as I am theirs. My biggest challenge is also just trying to let them express their individuality while gently guiding them and being their biggest supporter. It's much easier to say "Because I SAID SO", then to step back and let them make some mistakes and grow as people.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Debra Ferrie on 26th May 2010
  • My biggest challenge is dealing with a mini-me. Although he looks like my husband, his attitude is defnitely me - and its rough! My mom says its payback for when they were parents but at least I can deal with it better since I understand the personality. Although it makes him difficult at times, the truth is that he is a fighter and this will definitely give him an edge on life but I wish he wouldn't do it so much with me!!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by oceans mom on 4th July 2010

Add a Reply