Group Discussions

Any tips for a SAHM going back to work

Subscribe
  • Hi All,

I am a SAHM mom who has been home for 7 years and now I am ready to go back to work. I have been able to get a few interviews, but I don't seem to make it past that stage, as they hire someone with recent and relevant experience (I am switching careers).
    I am enrolled in a program at the university and have been doing a lot of volunteer work for the past year.

If anyone can give me some advice, I would appreciate it!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by naema on 21st October 2010
  • I was a SAHM for only 2 years, and had a very hard time getting back into the work force. Basically what I had to do was "stepping stones". The first job I got was definitely not a career job, but was a great step to getting a better job and being where I wanted to be. Also, it boosted my resume so when I was ready to go for those bigger jobs I did not have a big 2 year gap of unemployment in which I would have to explain my staying at home and what I did and etc etc... So basically my best suggestion would be to start working small and work up to that big career job. Going to school in addition to the stepping stone job would be good too. It will all add up to something great! My best advice is just realize its going to take time,and be patient. You will soon meet your goals!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Bourne2Bwild on Tuesday

Add a Reply