If you have an affinity for sales and marketing and are thinking about working from home, direct sales may be a great option for you to consider. While Work It, Mom! does not endorse any specific company, these 10 are some of the most popular ones out there. Got questions? Be sure to join the discussions here at Work It, Mom!
- Usborne Books: Founded in 1973 by Peter Usborne, Usborne Books sells high-quality children's books person-to-person as well as via home parties.
- Avon: Formerly known as the California Perfume Company (back in the late 1880s), Avon boasts nearly 5 million representatives selling beauty products in 143 countries.
- Arbonne International: The Swiss company Arbonne International sells health and beauty products based on botanical principles.
- The Pampered Chef: Representatives host "Cooking Shows" where they sell kitchen products by The Pampered Chef, one of the newer direct sales companies in the mainstream.
- Melaleuca Inc.: Using person-to-person marketing, Melaleuca Inc. offers tea tree oil-based wellness and cleaning products.
- Mary Kay: Founded by Mary Kay Ash in 1963, Mary Kay cosmetics uses independent beauty consultants to market and sell their health and beauty products.
- Silpada Designs: Based in Kansas, Silpada Designs offers .925 Sterling silver jewelry at great prices and allows women to sell in a home-party atmosphere.
- Tupperware: The grandparent of the party-based business model, Tupperware offers an ever-growing array of food storage and preservation products.
- Creative Memories: Focusing on scrapbooking supplies, Creative Memories has been marketing their products via the party plan since 1987.
- Home Interiors & Gifts: In business for more than 50 years, Home Interiors & Gifts markets their products via parties thrown by their "Decorating Consultants."
- Discovery Toys: Focusing on the US and Canada only, Discovery Toys sells educational toys for kids.
- Shaklee: Independent distributors with Shaklee sell "green" cleaning, health, and home products.
Find out more:
- Comparing affiliate marketing and direct sales
- How to find the best direct sales company for you
- You don't have to start your own business in order to work from home