The Working Closet

with Susan Wagner

The Working Closet is your source for the best of what's hip and fresh in fashion and beauty. Susan Wagner keeps you up-to-date on trends and offers tips and tricks for making everything in your closet truly work for you.

You can also catch Susan over at Friday Playdate.

The swimming pool may be closing, but our Flickr pool is just getting started

Categories: Flickr pool, beyond 9 to 5

I’ve spent a lot of time over the past two weeks getting my sons ready for their first day of school (which is TOMORROW, don’t hate me please). This year, my seven-year-old will wear a uniform for the first time, so his closet is currently neatly hung with white polo shirts and navy chinos and shorts. He also has to wear a dress shirt and tie to Mass on Thursdays, which is simultaneously the cutest thing EVER and a little bit heartbreaking.

My baby! In a TIE! Thank god it’s a clip on.

Back-to-school shopping was always one of my favorite things as a child, and even now, the start of school gets me thinking about what I need for my own fall closet. This fall, I am coveting a few things: a swingy trapeze jacket, an everyday black dress, and a bright cheery tote. But before I bring any of those things home, I need to clean out my closet and assess what I already have. I try to adhere to a strict one in, one (or two) out policy, both to keep my clothes from overwhelming me and to prevent my wardrobe from looking dated.

So this week, after the kids go back to school, I will be emptying the closet and trying everything on. And photographing it for your entertainment.

Which brings me to The Working Closet Flickr pool. Starting September 1, I challenge you (yes, all of you! including you in the back there) to share photos of what you are wearing every day. Or every weekday or work day or every day that you can find the camera and get someone to take your picture. Tell us whatever seems relevant about your outfit–where you got it, why you chose it, what you like (or don’t like) about it. Photograph your clothes on you or on the hanger; shoot your entire outfit or just a specific item or detail. Share as much or as little of YOUR working closet as you like.

14 March 2007
Jacket and jeans from Old Navy, blouse from J. Crew.

The rationale is simple: seeing what other women are wearing to work (even if your office doubles as your kitchen table and your boss is still wearing diapers or napping every day) can inspire our own wardrobe choices. Fashion magazines are a wonderful source of information, but only if you’re planning to replace your entire closet every season. Seeing what other working moms are doing with that black skirt from five years ago and the ubiquitous jean jacket can actually be far more useful.

I promise to post a photo every day in September; after all, as a freelance writer, every day is pretty much a work day for me. Take some time in the next couple of weeks and get your closet ready. And then, for one month, show us what you’re wearing to work. And yes, I mean YOU in the back. Come on–you know you want to.

Your Comment

Will be shown publicly

NOTE: All fields marked * are required.

• I have that blazer… I think it looks cuter on you, though.

Selfmademom  |  August 14th, 2007 at 1:47 pm

• I’ll be brave. I’ll do it.

I propose a ban on any self-deprecating remarks in the photo descriptions, though.

Also there had better be at least one other person who doesn’t look quite as slim and trim as Susan does posting or else.

(Or else what? I don’t know. I’ll sue, maybe? Or just cry myself to sleep every.single.night. — now do you want that one your head?)

Jan  |  August 14th, 2007 at 6:39 pm

• I’m with Jan’s comment; if everyone is slim and trim and adorable, I will not belong in this pool. Not that I’m not adorable; I’m just, well, Rubenesque might be the word.

Daisy  |  August 15th, 2007 at 3:20 am

• Okay….I’m another Rubenesque mom who promises to post from time to time. Maybe I can get some advice on how I’m wearing and matching outfits. Right now I think everything looks absolutely awful on me.

Momcat  |  August 15th, 2007 at 12:34 pm

• Jan, you are brilliant. Thank you for that reminder. And please, no crying! That will make me sad.

No matter what our sizes, we all have something about our bodies that we would change. The right clothing choices can minimize what we don’t like and draw attention to what we DO like. And seeing how other women do this can be so helpful.

Please don’t let your shape or size or the number in your waistband stop you from participating in the Flickr pool. Feel free to post outfits you know work for you AND outfits that you want help with. And if you all take Jan’s suggestion and steer clear of self-deprecating commentary on your own photos, I will make sure that any other feedback is constructive and polite.

Rubenesque is beautiful. I want to see all your pretty faces and lovely figures. Please.

Susan  |  August 15th, 2007 at 1:49 pm

• I love that you are doing this! GREAT idea!

motherleadsbest  |  August 15th, 2007 at 6:47 pm

• Don’t worry guys. I am Rubenesque too.

Wow, as the mom whose office is her kitchen table, this will be an interesting challenge. But maybe it will inspire me to dress better for a month and maybe that will have some lasting effects!

I will also track the effect it has on my productivity, because I am truly curious.

jcreer  |  August 16th, 2007 at 2:53 pm

• [...] forget to join The Working Closet Flickr pool! And get ready to show us what you’re wearing to work, every day in August. This entry was posted on Friday, August 17th, 2007 at 4:53 pm and is filed [...]

Work It, Mom! | A Community for Professional Moms  |  August 17th, 2007 at 5:13 pm

• [...] forget about The Working Closet Flickr pool! Because September 1 is right around the corner. This entry was posted on Tuesday, August 21st, [...]

Work It, Mom! | A Community for Professional Moms  |  August 21st, 2007 at 3:28 pm

• [...] to fold more laundry and throw some things in the dryer. I’m thinking that it might be fun to let the Internet pick out my clothes for a month. I’m wondering how long until [...]

Friday Playdate » even I am bored by this  |  August 23rd, 2007 at 2:01 am

Have a question?

Check out our popular Q&A area to ask questions and search for answers.

Quick recipes

Check out our favorite quick and easy recipes, perfect for busy moms.

Affordable Luxuries Blog

Check out our daily picks for affordable luxuries for you and your family.